Discuss Kitchen Socket Circuits?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Thoughts please... probably heard it all before ;-)
At some point I will be having a new kitchen fitted and I am going to be carrying out all the electrical works and any advice on the modern wiring methods of today would be appreciated.
I'm used to the old wiring methods, where it was about switching appliances below on/off from above the worktops. Fast forward and its all about hiding stuff away with hardly anything on show. The kitchen fitters love it, my electrical friends love it who are actively installing new kitchens and so does the wife :)
Below is what I've been toying with in my thoughts.....

Option 1: Dedicated RFC for appliances on a grid switch setup mounted on the back of a wall unit switching un-switched s/s/o mounted behind the appliances from each named d/p grid switch. General sockets above worktop to keep on existing house RFC. Cooker Switch to be mounted next to grid setup. Fridge/Freezer possibly on its own dedicated circuit and combo/microwave on another dedicated within the grid setup. (Everything in one place)

Option 2: Dedicated kitchen RFC only with sockets for all appliances in adjacent cupboards with general sockets above the worktop on the same RFC. Every socket on the ring and no un-fused spurs. (Everything else the same as above regarding Fridge, micro/combo)

Option 3: Old School method.... in the past apparently.

Grid switching is good for some things but its ultimately down to you, its your kitchen so install what is most convenient and within your budget. Bear in mind that with your option 1 idea of having the fridge/freezer on a separate circuit , then i assume this would be a new one? in which case it then becomes notifiable as a new circuit where as if you keep everything running from an existing ring then it stays as minor works. whether you are competent enough to test and sign off your own minor certificate only you know?

Yes Gavin, I understand exactly what you are saying. I am competent but due to the fact I'm not Part P registered as I don't require this in my line of work.
I will be getting a third party to sign off my works as a new consumer unit will also be fitted. :)

Fast forward and its all about hiding stuff away with hardly anything on show. The kitchen fitters love it, my electrical friends love it who are actively installing new kitchens and so does the wife

I have this really old fashioned idea that electrical controls should be conveniently sited for what they serve

Socket outlets sited so that chords and arms don't become mangled using these items

Cooker switches not mounted behind the Weetabix should a fast isolation be needed

The number of outlets sufficient and sited so that appliances are not serving multiple loads and requiring the person to plug and unplug needlessly

I believe a Kitchen is a "Workstation" where preparation and the serving of food is the primary function:eek:

I suppose these old fashioned ideas may have given way to a room that presents a kindly appearance rather functionality:(

Decent size radial, say 32 amp fed in either 4 or 6mm depending on reference method to a grid switch for some appliances. Working on the principle you won't have the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier on at exactly the same time.

Rest of the sockets on an RFC or radials as required.

I see no real need for dedicated circuits for fridge/freezers etc in domestic, if they keep on tripping the RCD they normally need replacing anyway and it's a good indication when the kettle won't boil that something is wrong.

TBH all the sockets in my house are run off one RFC upstairs with cable drops to the ground floor and never had any issues. However the kitchen is being ripped out next year and I will be designing the kitchen power to be a little better than the existing 70's design.

Fast forward and its all about hiding stuff away with hardly anything on show. The kitchen fitters love it, my electrical friends love it who are actively installing new kitchens and so does the wife

I have this really old fashioned idea that electrical controls should be conveniently sited for what they serve

Socket outlets sited so that chords and arms don't become mangled using these items

Cooker switches not mounted behind the Weetabix should a fast isolation be needed

The number of outlets sufficient and sited so that appliances are not serving multiple loads and requiring the person to plug and unplug needlessly

I believe a Kitchen is a "Workstation" where preparation and the serving of food is the primary function:eek:

I suppose these old fashioned ideas may have given way to a room that presents a kindly appearance rather functionality:(
I know... peer pressure comes to mind!
Option 1 appears to be a widely used method on lots of new builds these days.

agree with des. a kitchen is there to prepare and cook food. end of. therefore all electrical works should reflect this and make the kitchen fit for purpose. any customer that does not want to see accessories on show should bin the oven and use mcdonalds/burger king/local pizza takeaway.

I'd go for option 2 , keep it nice and simple !
agree with des. a kitchen is there to prepare and cook food. end of. therefore all electrical works should reflect this and make the kitchen fit for purpose. any customer that does not want to see accessories on show should bin the oven and use mcdonalds/burger king/local pizza takeaway.
I take it yourself and Des56 like the accessories on show..... option 1 & 2 out of the question on your kitchen installs then?
Would your preferred preference be 6 way grid on show or 6 x d/p switches or switched fused spurs scattered around above worktop controlling appliances?

The are an awful lot more options than what you have listed.

Where is the fuseboard in this installation?

I take it yourself and Des56 like the accessories on show..... option 1 & 2 out of the question on your kitchen installs then?
Would your preferred preference be 6 way grid on show or 6 x d/p switches or switched fused spurs scattered around above worktop controlling appliances?

Paul I said 'Option 2' - normal use sockets above worktops and surface mounted appliance sockets in adjacent base units, so no clutter of switched fused spurs or expensive grid assemblies .

Paul I said 'Option 2' - normal use sockets above worktops and surface mounted appliance sockets in adjacent base units, so no clutter of switched fused spurs or expensive grid assemblies .
Thanks Dave OCD... :)

Decent size radial, say 32 amp fed in either 4 or 6mm depending on reference method to a grid switch for some appliances. Working on the principle you won't have the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier on at exactly the same time.

Rest of the sockets on an RFC or radials as required.

I see no real need for dedicated circuits for fridge/freezers etc in domestic, if they keep on tripping the RCD they normally need replacing anyway and it's a good indication when the kettle won't boil that something is wrong.

TBH all the sockets in my house are run off one RFC upstairs with cable drops to the ground floor and never had any issues. However the kitchen is being ripped out next year and I will be designing the kitchen power to be a little better than the existing 70's design.

Might be a squeeze getting 6.0mm cables in a grid system

Reply to Kitchen Socket Circuits?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net