Discuss Kitchen Sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have to rewire a Kitchen - sockets and FCU's in new locations, solid concrete flooring in Kitchen, room above tiled floor new plastered ceiling in Kitchen.

My questions are : -

1) Is it permissible in regs to chase down from existing sockets chase across the wall at low floor level, cables in oval conduit and up to the new socket location?

2) What are the regs concerning the wires in the existing sockets? can I join into ring in existing back box with push fit or crimps and bury the cables in the wall?

3) What is the best thing to use to cover the front of the existing back boxes to protect cables & joiners from the plaster?

4) Most new socket locations under windows so lintles above etc.

Thanks for your help.

1. they would not be in a recognised cable zone at that level.
2. bury the joints in the wall? - no
3.i always rip redundant boxes out
4. just keep the cables within the recognised cable zones

Can you run a low level trunking and chase up from the trunking?

Any cable joint must remain accessible, so if you have to join it in a box then blank plate required.

Hi

Thanks for the replies,

I could run in trunking but customer probably not happy with that - how do I stick to safe zones if skts under windows? I would have to drop at the side of window and go along etc?

Is it against the regs to bury crimped & heat shrink joints within an enclosure then?

If I rip out old socket boxes and pull cables up to ceiling height (within safe zone) I still need to join them as I have no access to ceiling above?

Thanks

i just love customers that don`t want the fabric touching but don`t want trunking either. tell them the magician is coming with you to help out.

once priced a pub up for a full rewire. that had 30 tenants living in bedsits above. the pub was to stay open while the rewire was to be done. the guy running the show wanted us to rewire it on a night but we would have to be quiet as the peeps unlucky enough to be paying 80 quid a week for a dump... oh i mean a room. none of the walls were to be chased and none of that white plastic stuff on the walls either he said. i told him if it bothered him we could get the yt2 in nicotine brown. :D

Reply to Kitchen Sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net