• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently getting a kitchen overhaul and want to install some unit/kick-board lights. I want to be able to control the unit lights with the light-switch which controls the down-lights in the kitchen ceiling. I have swapped the switch out for a double switch.

The lights have came for the units but they require a plug socket. I was thinking of cutting the plugs off the lights and putting them onto a transformer. As previously mentioned, there are 2 sets of lights, both require 12v power supply. One set has 10 lights each at 0.2w (2 watts in total) and the other set has 6 lights with a combined power of 2.5w.

I was thinking of cutting the plugs from these 2 sets of lights and buying a 6w LED Driver transformer to connect all the lights up to. The last thing i want to do is be able to control all of this via a light-switch which currently controls the ceiling lights in the kitchen. I have swapped this out for a 2-gang light-switch and successfully wired up the ceiling lights to one of these switches. The remaining switch i want to wire this transformer up to. Was wondering how i can go about doing this and power it from the existing lighting from the ceiling lights. However, obviously there is no neutral from this switch so where does this come from? Also, should i be using flex cable from the light switch to the transformer? Does anything need to be earthed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S Here is a link to the transformer i am looking at. Is this suitable?

LED Driver Transformer DC 12v-6w, 10W 12w, 18w, 30w,40W for MR11, MR16 LED Strip | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-Transformer-DC-12v-6w-10W-12w-18w-30w-40W-for-MR11-MR16-LED-Strip/291227662579?hash=item43ce8578f3:m:m1oUI8fA_qqZMfaQKe59ytA

Crafty Callum - Starting a new thread after the previous one was closed ! The reply below was written by me just as the other thread was closed down......
Ok I don't condone encouraging untrained people to carry out electrical work but if the plinth lights come with a transformer plug as their means of connection there is no sensible option but to use a 13a socket.
My suggestions would be connect the socket via a switched fused spur with 3a fuse or if you really must have the switch at the main light switch position put in a separate dry lining box and have 2 single switches thus keeping different circuits apart - but still feed the whole setup via a fused spur.

Hi - to add functions to your light switch position will likely require more cables to be run. If so, they will need testing and certifying to BS 7671 to prove their safety. If your existing consumer unit (fuse box) doesn't include RCD supervision for this circuit then it will likely need to be added and tested and certified etc. These steps are required so that you are safe and your house insurance remains valid. Perhaps look at wireless control plug in option?

I notice you've changed this thread...possibly from the advice I've seen given to you on another forum you've posted on. If this thread goes the same way as the other then this will be close as well. No one on here should provide you with step by step instructions.

Hi Guys,

I am currently getting a kitchen overhaul and want to install some unit/kick-board lights. I want to be able to control the unit lights with the light-switch which controls the down-lights in the kitchen ceiling. I have swapped the switch out for a double switch.

The lights have came for the units but they require a plug socket. I was thinking of cutting the plugs off the lights and putting them onto a transformer. As previously mentioned, there are 2 sets of lights, both require 12v power supply. One set has 10 lights each at 0.2w (2 watts in total) and the other set has 6 lights with a combined power of 2.5w.

I was thinking of cutting the plugs from these 2 sets of lights and buying a 6w LED Driver transformer to connect all the lights up to. The last thing i want to do is be able to control all of this via a light-switch which currently controls the ceiling lights in the kitchen. I have swapped this out for a 2-gang light-switch and successfully wired up the ceiling lights to one of these switches. The remaining switch i want to wire this transformer up to. Was wondering how i can go about doing this and power it from the existing lighting from the ceiling lights. However, obviously there is no neutral from this switch so where does this come from? Also, should i be using flex cable from the light switch to the transformer? Does anything need to be earthed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S Here is a link to the transformer i am looking at. Is this suitable?

LED Driver Transformer DC 12v-6w, 10W 12w, 18w, 30w,40W for MR11, MR16 LED Strip | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Driver-Transformer-DC-12v-6w-10W-12w-18w-30w-40W-for-MR11-MR16-LED-Strip/291227662579?hash=item43ce8578f3:m:m1oUI8fA_qqZMfaQKe59ytA
Tenacious, I'll give you that Callum

Is there a neutral at the existing switch?
Is there another switch on the back of the wall of the existing switch which light is on the same circuit?
how do you plan the run cables?
Do these lights come with moulded plug transformer so can only be plugged into a socket?

Given the picture the op posted of his aged Wylex rewire able fuseboard, I can confidently predict that any changes he and or others are doing to his kitchen will not comply with the regs

But I doubt the op will be interested in this ........

As I said on the other thread that got locked get a WiFi switch and plug the whole lot into a normal socket

Stop dicking around with things you know nothing about and are liable able to kill you.

Hello again.
Just go with @Strima suggestion in the post above, which was also mentioned in your other thread, there you ignored most of the advice...

Hi Guys,

I've decided to go with the plug socket idea as i've been told confusing things by different people. Some say the socket is the way to go as these lights come with moulded plug transformer so can only be plugged into a socket. Others say buy my own transformer but i wouldn't be comfortable to cut the plug for something which may not 100% work if i screw up. I have drew up a diagram of what i plan to do, just after some guidance on whether this would be safe and would work.

Just to further explain the diagram, the power source is going to be from the existing lighting circuit in the ceiling. I'm going to put a WAGO connector on the 'Live Loop' and branch off from here to the light switch. I am then going to run another cable to the double socket into the 'Live' terminal as a 'Switched Live'. The neutral i'm going to also bring from the lighting circuit from the ceiling, i'm going to connect the two Neutrals using a plastic connector and run this along side the back box in the wall cavity. Will also link up the earths in the lug of the metal face-plate for the switch.

What are your thoughts guys?
Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated proposal.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi OP. Do you know the regulations that this will have to comply with?
Why the 'Dumb' on @Murdoch post?
Do you have test kit to test the circuit afterwards?

OP - are you just an annoying troll ?

You ask for advice and pretty much ignore every sensible suggestion made.

Hopeless

Fingers crossed this will be locked soon and you may get a ban ..... Fingers crossed!

Reply to Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back