• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Kitchen Wiring Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Advice please on new electric oven and gas hob wiring for a new kitchen. It will be an integrated type oven with gas hob inset into the work top

The oven is a single electric fan oven approx 14metres from the distribution board

What size cable should I use for the oven supply ?

The gas hob will require a supply for the ignition. Does this comes from a separate fused spur on the kitchen radial rather than the cooker supply ?

Any advice /tips on positions for the oven supply and hob supply below the worktop would also be greatly received

Thank you

The cable size should be calculated as any other, based on the current demand taking into account derating factors for the installation methods, volt drop, and earth fault loop impedance.

Welcome to the Forum, from your profile you seem to have some qualifications and assume these are electrical installation C&G's to the BS7671.. can you confirm?

For members to help you out here we also need you to show a little willing here too, can you show us the calculations and what you think you need for the job, we are happy to help and nudge you in the right direction and to conform or correct your calcs but we are not here to do all the calculations for you.

This kind of work is beyond what we would advise on for DIY so we just want to ensure you have at least some knowledge and understanding of the task in hand.

Welcome to the Forum, from your profile you seem to have some qualifications and assume these are electrical installation C&G's to the BS7671.. can you confirm?

For members to help you out here we also need you to show a little willing here too, can you show us the calculations and what you think you need for the job, we are happy to help and nudge you in the right direction and to conform or correct your calcs but we are not here to do all the calculations for you.

This kind of work is beyond what we would advise on for DIY so we just want to ensure you have at least some knowledge and understanding of the task in hand.

I have those qualifications albeit from 1982-1984 which included a 5 year apprenticeship and went to to get a JIB approved electricians card. I have been out of the trade for 25 years and any work I do I do only for myself on my own Property..despite my experience albeit a while a ago was mainly in light industry. Shop fits, commercial premises etc etc so I do have some knowledge just a tad rusty

Can you not use the existing cooker circuit & cooker switch/outlet that would appear in about 80% (I'm guessing) of homes in the UK, for the standard vanilla flavoured single integrated electric oven?

10mm and a 32amp switchy thing in the box in the hallyway with the other flicky thing . I did come on here for some hopefully sound advice

Shall we start again, before this thread goes Pete Tong. We are not trolling, but there are some right DIY'ers who come on here for step by step guides, not allowed by forum rules, for obvious reasons.

Shall we start again, before this thread goes Pete Tong. We are not trolling, but there are some right DIY'ers who come on here for step by step guides, not allowed by forum rules, for obvious reasons.
Appreciated, I was bending conduit, putting up cable tray, pulling in SWAs, terminating pyro, etc etc so I do know my back entry box from my glands all back in the 80s. I worked to the 15th edition back then.

so a 6.0mm cable on a 32A MCB. cooker oulet from a 45A isolator/cooker switch. then you can either use that feed to also power a 1365 socket for ignition of the gas hob.or take the hob ignitoon from the socket circuit. whatever is easiest.

so a 6.0mm cable on a 32A MCB. cooker oulet from a 45A isolator/cooker switch. then you can either use that feed to also power a 1365 socket for ignition of the gas hob.or take the hob ignitoon from the socket circuit. whatever is easiest.
Yes that makes sense, thank you ....6mm and a 32a . and back in my day any decent spark would be on his twelfty pint by now having got a flyer cheers

2.5mm radial on a 16A MCB would be more than adequate feeding 2 x SFCU's for the single oven and the gas ignition.

Teletrix' suggestion would future proof you though if you wanted to have electric hob and / or double oven in future

Out of interest you you have test equipment? and knowledge of Part P?
Honest answer no..
2.5mm radial on a 16A MCB would be more than adequate feeding 2 x SFCU's for the single oven and the gas ignition.

Teletrix' suggestion would future proof you though if you wanted to have electric hob and / or double oven in future
it’s stripped back to bare plaster so future proof would make sense thanks

Honest answer no..

I'll give you 10 out of 10 for honesty

May be read up on this stuff and while you're at it look at the importance of earthing and bonding too, plus RCD protection.

We sparks have to provide all this stuff which makes people think we are over charging or charging for unnecessary work .......... but the reality is that we have to comply with BS 7671 and in England & Wales Part P too

Hi Mickus, I have moved this to the DIY section and thus not approved your duplicate thread, repeating threads in different forums only leads to confusion for members and staff.
On the note of advice, the regulations are very different from those of the eighties, I know, I did my apprenticeship during them, having said that the basis of calculating cable size remains pretty much the same.
The advice you have been given is more than we would normally give you since you are too far removed from the industry now, I think your honesty and the fact you have a little history in the trade won you a few brownie points.
That aside and noting what has been expressed already, you will need to catch up on requirements to this circuit which should now be looking to meet the 18th edition although I do not think there is much difference to what your are doing from the 17th edition requirements in all honesty but it must be tested out so I suggest a 3rd party to sign it off for you and keep you within regulatory requirements.
May I ask why you packed the trade in?.. the eighties was a good wage and plenty of work out there.

Reply to Kitchen Wiring Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back