Discuss Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi people
Having a new kitchen done so wanted some more sockets and a couple of cooker points put in. Electrician done this and chased new wires into the wall. You can see this by the different texture of plaster in the picture. However my kitchen fitter has refused to complete the work until the wiring runs vertical, he says wiring that’s running horizontally and diagonal should be condemned!!!??? Any thoughts. Many Thanks

Kitchen wiring problems 41562266-A2A0-4840-BBE4-E93C1653104F - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems F5A1185F-2D94-47C4-812D-50F07282E14C - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems C708E469-EA0F-4EEC-BD8B-C54BBE7A621A - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems 1664FECE-8727-42F9-A820-C15D8EBBF79A - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems 317A131C-EE81-41F7-9E2A-A015BA771BF4 - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems 84C33CA9-945A-470A-83B6-20C5A3D5E8FA - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems 59B4EF15-1856-4770-9AE0-9D480718475E - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems AB951727-047D-47E5-BE64-15C7BF728591 - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems D5B88B50-E58B-4D3C-8507-C5BA5E87DE5C - EletriciansForums.net

Kitchen wiring problems 915C2371-66D6-4DA4-B216-D98C070D4D72 - EletriciansForums.net

3rd pic from bottom is that running horizontal???

All cables should be kept in zone as to Reg 522.6.101

https://i.stack.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/nls0x.png

Last edited:
The diagonal chases are not right if the chases are less than 50mm deep, don't have sufficient mechanical protection to stop penetration by screws, nail and the likes of, not in earthed metallic containment or if the cable used is of a type that has no earthed armour/sheath like MICC, SWA or bs8436 cable. In other words if the diagonal cable chases have standard twin and earth in capping, pvc conduit and are less than 50mm from the surface then it's wrong. Either way it looks like bad workmanship.

The diagonal chases are not right if the chases are less than 50mm deep, don't have sufficient mechanical protection to stop penetration by screws, nail and the likes of, not in earthed metallic containment or if the cable used is of a type that has no earthed armour/sheath like MICC, SWA or bs8436 cable. In other words if the diagonal cable chases have standard twin and earth in capping, pvc conduit and are less than 50mm from the surface then it's wrong. Either way it looks like bad workmanship.

Is it acceptable to be less than 50mm deep and no mechanical protection if it is covered by a 30mA RCD? (522.6.7)

3rd pic from bottom is that running horizontal???

All cables should be kept in zone as to Reg 522.6.101

https://i.stack.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/nls0x.png
Safe+zones+for+electrical+wiring - - Yahoo Image Search Results - https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVje.sEZanrcAH0knnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMHJxZmlpBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ3NzZfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Safe%2Bzones%2Bfor%2Belectrical%2Bwiring&fr=yhs-mozilla-102&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-102
As you can see from the drawings posted diagonal cable runs is not allowed by BS 7671

The kitchen fitter is right in this case, although you can see the cable runs via the new plaster, it's still the wrong thing to do, if the kitchen guy wont complete the work due to the poor workmanship, get the spark back to do the work properly. Are there any certificates issued, I take it he has been paid, has the work been notified to the LABC?

Oh dear:(
Horizontal can be fine, diagonal is just pure laziness and not acceptable (I doubt it's been run in SWA or the like).

PS Could your painter not have moved the kitchen roll in the 3rd pic rather than paint around it;)

I have come across wiring done this way many times over in kitchens, its basically laziness by the electrical installer based on the assumption the area is going to be tiled over so the cable is never likely to suffer mechanical damage in the future. The kitchen fitter, though correct about the diagonal wiring sounds like he's blowing it a little bit out of context,(though that could just be my interpretation of your post) But well done him for actually taking note rather than just blundering on with the job!!
This aside the "electrician" should know the safe zones which this type of cabling can be run and should have installed it to the regs within those zones! You are well within your right to ask the electrician back to correct the faults.
I never understand the point of running the cable diagonally like in your pictures??? its not like its a big job to just chase straight down to just below the work top height where usually the cable can then be surface mounted.

I think the spark should also invest in a spirit level...
I do a lot of kitchens...
This looks like one of those, I'm the spark don't know any other trades so I don't care efforts. So then the plasterer will follow on the same.
FWIW have never fitted faceplates before a plasterer comes along that I like, tbf never been that kind of knob to even those I dislike

However my kitchen fitter has refused to complete the work until the wiring runs vertical, he says wiring that’s running horizontally and diagonal should be condemned!!!???

The Kitchen fitter has had a couple of pats on the back,he is not getting one off me
As much as he is correct about diagonal cables he is also woefully uneducated about what constitutes being run in safe zones ( stating the nicht horizontal bit)

He is dealing with this important issue on a daily basis,he should be more than well aware of one of the most basic rules that affect work with his own trade
He must have been drilling holes in safe zones for ever and a day and been one lucky guy not to have cocked up

However my kitchen fitter has refused to complete the work until the wiring runs vertical, he says wiring that’s running horizontally and diagonal should be condemned!!!???

The Kitchen fitter has had a couple of pats on the back,he is not getting one off me
As much as he is correct about diagonal cables he is also woefully uneducated about what constitutes being run in safe zones ( stating the nicht horizontal bit)

He is dealing with this important issue on a daily basis,he should be more than well aware of one of the most basic rules that affect work with his own trade
He must have been drilling holes in safe zones for ever and a day and been one lucky guy not to have cocked up
I'm blessed, I work with 3 very good fitters.

On other jobs from other companies, I'm screwed and it is a bunch of knobs

I'm blessed, I work with 3 very good fitters.

On other jobs from other companies, I'm screwed and it is a bunch of knobs

I know i'm off topic,but your statement reminded me of a mate,who jumped in to a similar conversation,mid-way....He said "I have 4 pals,2 joiners,a decorator and a spark...and we never have any issues...work great together..."

It unfolded,that,he was describing his 5 a-side team:)

When asked if he had ever "worked" with any of them,he replied "No chance - bunch of animals- wouldn't give em' house room!" :eek:

That work is disgraceful.
You only have to look at the way he has chased out the wall for the back boxes, not one of them is level and it would automatically make me wonder what the rest of his work is like. The chase marks from his grinder around the sockets show he has taken no pride in his work at all and i bet the plasterer will love him for that, i know they will be filled and wont be seen but there is no reason for them to be there in the first place he needs to invest in some tools to make a neater job.
Looking at the pics more closely it looks like an existing old kitchen socket on the far right that then feeds a fcu, that fcu looks like it has a chase running down to feed an appliance, it then runs horizontally to feed another 2 double sockets and another fcu which looks like its load is the fridge or freezer. I may be wrong but i think it wont be long before that 13amp fuse in the first fcu goes pop with the loads that circuit may ask of it assuming that it is a spur from an existing socket. Oh and the diagonal cable run and the 1st fix makes me wonder if this has been installed by a professional or by a DIY homeowner.

Seems odd that the cooker switch is so far from the connection point, especially as there is a double socket directly above the connection point.
Please tell me that the hob will not be directly below the double socket and FCU.

Reply to Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock