Discuss Knipex Pliers - help and advice neeeded in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I am looking at getting some Knipex pliers, my uncle who was an electricial contractor swears by them. He’s on holiday so I can’t ask him.

Now can anyone recommend which ones or set to buy?

Totally agree with @Vortigern on the installation pliers. The two items of Knipex kit I use most are my side cutters and installation pliers.

I also have some combination pliers and cable shears, the later I'm fairly convinced would have no problems removing a digit quite cleanly.

NWS or Bahco for me in pliers and cutters.

I am looking at getting some Knipex pliers, my uncle who was an electricial contractor swears by them. He’s on holiday so I can’t ask him.

Still best to ask him,he is sure to notice if his are gone :)

...we used to say that about our uncle,but in the end,it was simpler to just say "prison"...;)

Right! back to the tool question...

I have several sets of the installation pliers,which are literally,indispensable.

I have,and have had,loads of Knipex gear,for as long as i have been using tools ( 5 years old:)) and very rarely,do they make a tool which is impractical,and never one of low quality.

I have lost count of the extra number of tasks,the installation pliers can do...just buy some,and move to the next vital items needed...

Knipex side cutters and combo pliers work well for me. My advice would be to try out a selection at one of the Elex trade shows and see which ones feel the most comfortable in your hand. I used to use Kew Technics for many years but now find them too bulky and cumbersome in comparison. Hand tools really are down to the individual using them and whatever feels and works best.

Best pair of pliers are klien tools. They will chop 3.5mm screws too no problem.

I used to love having knipex, but I'll only buy their cobra grips now.

Pet hate of mine - chopping M3.5 screws. They come in a good variety of lengths and aren't expensive.

Lost count of the number of ruined backbox threads from M3.5 screws that have been cut with pliers.

Pet hate of mine - chopping M3.5 screws. They come in a good variety of lengths and aren't expensive.

Lost count of the number of ruined backbox threads from M3.5 screws that have been cut with pliers.

I used to do it with a hack saw for that reason, the klein tools pliers do it quite well though. Wouldn't make a habit out of it but good if you need to get out of the poo

i cut 3.5mm socket screws with NWS side cutters, the ones that have the holes to do it. never had a bad thread from that yet.

I have a set of Beta pliers that cuts them easy , never had a problem on metal boxes , but dress them with the file if I get caught out with fast fix or plastic , the quality is not there any more.
To be honest it is a last resort as I usually have a good selection of plate screws, it's usually the longer ones I have to cut back when you can not just catch that elusive floating lug.

Reply to Knipex Pliers - help and advice neeeded in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net