Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Knipex SmartGrip self-locking pliers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. EalingBadger

EalingBadger Regular EF Member

I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago after I saw them demonstrated at an exhibition.

They've been languishing unused in the workshop ever since.... until today, when I was surprised to find that they do not "lock" in any reasonable sense of the word that I understand - despite what I *thought* I saw at the exhibition.

After spending an age searching on the Knipex web site, YouTube, and the internet generally I can find virtually nothing on this particular item at all.

Has anybody else out there got a pair and if so do they "lock"?

Lock that is the manner of a pair of Mole Grips?

If so then what I thought I saw at the exhibition was correct and I have a faulty pair.

If not then I have completely misunderstood how they are supposed to work.

2. ruston

ruston Respected Member

3. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    I believe the 'self locking' just refers to the self sizing of the jaws and the mechanism. From the looks of it, the linkage means only one hand (with constant force) is needed to 'lock' the pliers in place on a pipe/nut.

4. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Tell you what, to save you from all problems PM with where I can collect them from:)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ruston

ruston Respected Member

I have two sizes of the Rothenberger one handed locking wrenches .
    They are bulletproof. download.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PEG

PEG Respected Member

I've said it before,and i'll say it again....whenever you see the word "smart",on a product or service...prepare to be disappointed...

(And Knipex is crackin gear:):))

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

I am in W12 so closer to W5 nah na na na nah..........

8. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I have agents in W3 so I think that trumps, if I may use such a word, W12 me dear!

9. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Knipex state all their pliers like that are self locking, however they mean the jaws will not slip once pressure has been applied by gripping and force is maintained on the top arm.
    from1:12

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. derek

derek Regular EF Member

I did try that once with my knipex cobras but I couldn't get them to lock, I shall have to try again when I am back on site.

11. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

I have friends in W5............. ;o)))

12. EalingBadger

EalingBadger Regular EF Member

We're in an undisclosed secret location in W13 so you're all out of luck (unless you know where Waitrose is that is... ;) )

I have looked at every datasheet, video, and online reference that I can find and remained unenlightened hence my question here.

I reckon SparkyChick (and others) are right - they are not self-locking in any sense of the phrase that actually makes sense in ordinary English.

I am feeling slightly mis-sold, as they weren't cheap.

OTOH, they are a cracking quality tool. I just have to get over the "self-locking" thing and get on with it.