Discuss know it alls in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I havn't had much time for electricians forum lately ,due mainly to the attitudes of certain members who, when reply to sometimes simply queries, demand that a full test report be given and continue to berate the posters with the usual are you an electrician at all --------,sometimes over a simple typo.Condescending and very unhelpful replies should have no place on this forum where people come for help.

This place is a very helpful and very resourceful forum. It has had its moments in the place and the very near past but it has had a makeover by some very hard working staff who give their own time to modulate and bring up to date.
If you haven't been visiting of late you'll have missed out on the friendly banter, the experienced advice, the questioning of reasons but this all evens out to it being the place to come for advice.
The staff recently have stirred up the barrel to encourage those that just watch and read, to take part and post. However much experience we have, we've aLl got something to say.
When people are questioned about test results it is usually because this would have been the route we should all go down to diagnose and fault find. Sometimes the postings are so vague that we would have to be mind readers. Photos, testing results or drawings all help a good response.
I hope that you find your return more friendly.

I havn't had much time for electricians forum lately ,due mainly to the attitudes of certain members
I heartily agree with you. Instead of focussing on the question they like to shoot you down. I have seen a few DIYers on here get quite upset. Usually its due to people drinking (I think) However the nice feature on here is you can put such people on your ignore list. Some trusted advisors are really trusted trolls. I have them on the ignore list and the noise just goes away with their nastly comments.

I havn't had much time for electricians forum lately ,due mainly to the attitudes of certain members who, when reply to sometimes simply queries, demand that a full test report be given and continue to berate the posters with the usual are you an electrician at all ********,sometimes over a simple typo.Condescending and very unhelpful replies should have no place on this forum where people come for help.

Don't worry about it . Not everyone has sharp teeth .
As long as you get what you need it is worth chipping away.
As RPA has stated though , certain information is essential to to assess a situation , also a little experience background of the person who is asking for help is advantageous, as some information could be dangerous to the inexperienced , leading to all-sorts of ramifications.

Don't let it put you off. :)

You get the "know it all's" in every walk of life so its to be expected.

I visit quite a few forums related to my hobbies and its the same no matter what. Don't worry about it too much, though I can understand that it may put people off posting in fear of being ridiculed.

You get a pattern and start to notice the folk who like to "stamp their authority" so to speak. I just ignore them, instead listen to the folk who actually really know what they are talking about! Fortunately in my experience so far, the "know it all trolls" are few and far between on this forum.

In the past I've just looked at posts as when I have posted got shot down.To the much credit the site has been inproved with more threads certain people are no longer on here and its more of a constructive descusion forum.

We've cleared up a lot of the crap and got rid of some members. You just need to report anything you find offensive or off topic or whatever.

Threads like this don't help though I must be honest. Love the replies though thanks lads.

:)

We've cleared up a lot of the crap and got rid of some members. You just need to report anything you find offensive or off topic or whatever.

Threads like this don't help though I must be honest. Love the replies though thanks lads.

:)
Its healthy to get some feed back whether negative or positive. This way you can take the negatives try to deal with them and hopefully improve things. Take the positives as showing you are moving in the right direction. There's no such thing as 100% perfect (well apart from me lol) its just a matter of steering things in the right direction as much as possible. In other words, try to please the majority rather than make change for the minority.
Ive been a member on much worse forums, but not on many much better than this one.

To the OP, if you're talking about DIYers, some of them deserve everything they get.
Despite all the good advice they get given, they keep banging on until they get what they want to hear.
I've got zero sympathy for them. On a recent thread, I suggested that she double the number of sockets she'd got planned, it was dismissed out of hand. Screw you then, and I'll take no further part in your thread.

It was damned good laugh though!!! :D
Aaahhh, the hours of amusement I've had on here in the past.
It does make me wonder what kind of a life some people have though when they literally come to an electrical forum to reply to threads dissing people then sitting there refreshing the screen giggling. Probably in a dark room with no kegs on.

I think this thread has run its course now eh lads.

:mdancing::mkungfu::mamazed::bananas:

Reply to know it alls in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net