Discuss L,A,B,Cs how do these bodies quantify someone as a Competent Person in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I registered once for ELECSA, on my “assessment” I had to carry out a RCD test on a socket. My tester has the auto function on it, it took me 2 minutes. I was then told that’s enough and I am now deemed “competent”. Make of that what you will.
Figures, did it cost you anything? So is it another tick in the box, by people who know diddly squat about Electrics, know relection on you whatsoever Dillb, just theorising as you do.

I registered once for ELECSA, on my “assessment” I had to carry out a RCD test on a socket. My tester has the auto function on it, it took me 2 minutes. I was then told that’s enough and I am now deemed “competent”. Make of that what you will.

In defence my Elecsa assessor was really good. Made me carry out a full range of tests on initial assessment and did a thorough job every year.

When I started up I called my 2 local LABC offices and asked what they needed to deem me competent and notify work directly with them.
"Erm, never been asked that, so we're not set up for it. Just join a scheme" Was the answer both times.

Hi Pete,
When I rewired my house I enquired with Stoke LBC as they had the two tier charging system (i, qualified but not part of a scheme, and ii, non-qualified) and buried in the small print of their Building Control Guidance was a note that the qualification required was the C&G 2392 -Level 2 Certificate in fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification.

When I started up I called my 2 local LABC offices and asked what they needed to deem me competent and notify work directly with them.
"Erm, never been asked that, so we're not set up for it. Just join a scheme" Was the answer both times.
Thanks but the issue I'm referring to the subject does not belong to a part P CPS, does the phrase left hand doesn't know what the right hand is up to? a bit like Government compartmentalisation springs to mind, and I should know.

In defence my Elecsa assessor was really good. Made me carry out a full range of tests on initial assessment and did a thorough job every year.
Not on about the CPS Andy. LABC is what I'm on about, or are they in Cahoots?

Not on about the CPS Andy. LABC is what I'm on about, or are they in Cahoots?
Hi Pete,
When I rewired my house I enquired with Stoke LBC as they had the two tier charging system (i, qualified but not part of a scheme, and ii, non-qualified) and buried in the small print of their Building Control Guidance was a note that the qualification required was the C&G 2392 -Level 2 Certificate in fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification.
Thank's Mr E

definition of competent = kerching !! ....costs... half a days wages and subscription charges... but I do remember my customers receiving nice posh Part P certs & I.... a "free" genuine plastic folder (still got it as it is a non-biodegradable plastic that lasts forever and thus does not degrade into our eco system as quickly as those biodegradable ones), stickers and a working plastic pen....oh and tech support.

Reply to L,A,B,Cs how do these bodies quantify someone as a Competent Person in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net