Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss LABC don't think I'm qualified to wire my house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DAvid Prosser

DAvid Prosser Regular EF Member

Hi any idea what would consist of demonstrating you are suitable qualified to BS 7678 17th Edition.

As I have approach my LABC to notify them of my intention to rewire my house including a new extension. I have sent them copies of my: C&G 2360 Lv1&2, C&G 2382(BS7671) Lv3, and C&G 2391 Lv3. I have a number of other qualifications but they are little to do with domestic installing.

This is the reply I have received.

Good afternoon

I can confirm from the information you have provided it does not demonstrate that you are qualified to BS7671iet wiring regulations 17th Edition.

In this instance the fee will be £348.00 (inc.vat)

If you think this is reasonable then can you point me in the right direction of getting the necessary qualifications.

I have asked for an explanation from LABC only to be told "the surveyor look at your qualifications and said you are not trained to 17th edition"

Thanks

2. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

When did you do your 2382 ? They may require an up to date qualification. This would be the only thing that proves you are "trained to 17th edition" that I can think they may be on about.

3. DAvid Prosser

2381 was 16th edition, 2382 is 17th edition. Anyway I did it 2009. 17th Edition start January 2008 in force July 2008.

4. darkwood

darkwood It's all about Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Just on a jovial note, getting the BS standards correct will go a far way to showing you know what you are talking about BS7678 won't cut the mustard unless you are trying to determine the mercury level in natural gas?

;) .... BS7671 may be what you intended to write :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I'd get back to them on that then. I feel it is unlikely they would demand a totally up to date version of the 2382. Most in the industry who are carrying out work and that are members of schemes will be on an earlier version of the 2382.

6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Perhaps take a deep breath and try for a meeting with the Surveyor to chat - maybe taking your BYB, test kit etc ?

7. DAvid Prosser

Hmm thanks for pointing out my mistake, yes as you can see it was 7671 however I do have EX09 &10 so maybe I do need to know the mercury content of our gas !!

• Like Like x 1
  8. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

It looks like they are sayng you are not a member of a part P scheme, probably not about qualifications, the only way you can avoid the building control fee is if you are a member of a scheme, not by being qualified. They are probably quite happy for you to do the work, just want you to pay for the privilege:) Even if you have a BC notice for the extension it wouldn't cover you for the complete rewire.

9. DAvid Prosser

Yes I have tried for a meeting with surveyor, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious and going to look a wally when I challenged the decision.

10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I think this is the problem with LBC making judgemental decisions on whether someone is competent enough to be an electrician. Show them your in a scheme, and no questions are asked. Give them a set of qualifications (from here certainly looks as if you are suitably qualified), and they don't really have the skills or knowledge to decide.

You could join a scheme, Stroma, cheaper by £60 and you could some private jobs to earn some more money for the rest of the year! :)

11. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Have you got the building control notice for the extension yet? If not add the rewire to that and pay one fee for the whole lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DAvid Prosser

Have tried that first told by LABC need two separate BCN.
    Seams like money over service to me.

13. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

I would point out the irony that they will be requiring a 2391 qualified (or suitably experienced) person to check your work, a qualification you hold

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

It would be cheaper to join Stroma!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Terrible echo in here :). Think your first option, is to sit down with the decision maker (as you suggested), along with your qualifications and seek clarifications on their decision. Ultimately, there may be an appeals process, but that would be even more costly.