Discuss LABC don't think I'm qualified to wire my house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry mate you are talking out of your proverbial. The rules are very clear, you have two choices. 1. You put in a building control application, do the work (to BS7671), then get it tested and passed by the councils appointed employee or contractor, or 2. You get a person who is part of a CPS to do it and notify via their scheme. Someone with "zero experience" or with qualifications acquired in "two months" would NOT be allowed in a scheme. And BTW it is "bored", not "board" electrician, unless you are talking about one working for a "board", on the side.

3 options actually (although I agree with the general sentiment of your post) you also have the option I was after of providing qualifications to LABC and having it approved for a fee.

3 options actually (although I agree with the general sentiment of your post) you also have the option I was after of providing qualifications to LABC and having it approved for a fee.

That is what you are being quoted for, they will still charge you the same whether you have it tested and inspected or not by their contractor, they have set fees which will be on their website, it is a bit of a con but it does draw a line in the sand. My brother in law runs building control for about four or five unified councils. His favourite quote was 'if Trevor Linsley wasn't in a scheme he would have to pay the fee'. I have in the past been in the same boat as I do a lot of building work. You have to weight up the pros and cons of joining a scheme, if you go down that route you will then need public liabilities insurance, and a hole raft of paperwork and books etc etc. Do you not know someone who is in a scheme who you can work with to get it done cheaper than the LABC fees?

Tin Hat firmly on, if it is your own place with the quals you have . Just do the bloody job test and write your own cert out.? You can download all the test sheets etc and EIC.

No you don't! If you are not part of a scheme they will get either their contractor or employee to come and certify it.

Sorry you are 100% wrong. The fee quoted is for as noted in original post "not qualified" the fee for "qualified" is £160. This is why I'm not happy with the LABC attitude. If it was simply NIC NAPIT or pay up etc then I would just get one of my contractors to certify it for me. But being an honest guy who with years of experience and the required qualifications thought I would just notify them and welcome them over if they wanted to check any time on the work progress

Right OK, like Westie said its a bit difficult to comprehend but these are the facts and your options:

1. You are rewiring your house. This is notifiable under part "P" of the BUILDING REGULATIONS, to/via your local building control.
2. You have 2 ways of doing this, you can either notify it yourself via your government approved scheme, assuming you are a member of one, or you can submit a building notice to your local council, if you are not. Your qualifications are irrelevant.
3. If you do the latter, they will charge you a fee and deal with it in the same way as if you were building your own house extension. They will come and inspect the work at specified stages, using either their own employee or contractor.
4. When they are happy with the job they will sign it off, in the same way you could LEGALLY sign it off if you were a member of a scheme. This is to satisfy part "P" of the building regulations, it has nothing to do with your ability or otherwise to produce a BS7671 certificate.
You can welcome them over for a brew and a chat all you like but you are not in a LEGAL position to do anything else.

Reply from LABC after initial enquiry. Apologies fees are £190 not £160.

Dear David

Thank you for your email.

Yes if you can provide scanned copies that would be great and we can confirm whether this is sufficient.

The cost is as follows:

£190.00 (inc.vat) – qualified but not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme

£348.00 (inc.vat) – not qualified and not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme

This fee is required on top of the fee required for an extension.

I trust this answers your query.

So to clarify the are two routes outside of the more traditional scheme registered electrician.

Well, that reply from your local council makes no sense. What they are undertaking, if they require you to submit a building notice, is to conduct the equivalent of 3rd party certification. This means THEY or their CONTRACTOR has to inspect the work at specified stages. What difference can it make if they or their contractor have not seen the first fix, for example? Given the fact they have indicated that you are not in a position to act as a "qualified person", I would suggest they mean you are not able to undertake 3rd party certification, in other words, act as their contractor?
I would seek a higher authority in the council to verify this, it sounds very odd to me.

Just to add to the above David is right in his post I had a good coversation with the head of LABC at Northampton B.C a few years ago they do the same the fee is less if you can prove that you are qualified as they do not inspect at every stage this is ok if a one off for example when our local NICEIC inspector rewired his own house however if you are doing any more for the cost go through Stroma etc.The head of LABC also told me the information does on the deeds for the house.When I did a house for a mate under Market Harborough LABC they only sent out a general building inspector for it, this is why the part P got changed to allow 3rd party.

Sorry mate you are talking out of your proverbial. The rules are very clear, you have two choices. 1. You put in a building control application, do the work (to BS7671), then get it tested and passed by the councils appointed employee or contractor, or 2. You get a person who is part of a CPS to do it and notify via their scheme. Someone with "zero experience" or with qualifications acquired in "two months" would NOT be allowed in a scheme. And BTW it is "bored", not "board" electrician, unless you are talking about one working for a "board", on the side.
Nice way to put it lol. Ok I live and do most of my work in Scotland.....I do "some" contracting when I am living in kent...I lead a double life lol..well it feels like it.
So If I may try to address your points
1. I was under the impression that with the correct qualifications you could do the notifying by yourself and pay the LABC a reduced fee (as you have effectively done the sign off yourself)...this seems to be borne out at the end of this thread (as of 11pm)...I can also say from reading this very forum that some councils will not budge on the need for a scheme member to do the notifying so always charge the full fee....But some do use some common sense.
2. Someone with zero experience CAN and do register for these schemes each and every day - Here you go fill your boots Bronze: Domestic Installer Course - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

For example they could call it part P of the building regulations and enact it in legislation!:tearsofjoy:
And how many part P prosecutions have there been so far ? How many people fail their assessment or reassessment ? How many contractors have been kicked off any of the CPC's for poor standards or otherwise ?
This stuff has been discussed in parliament - the system is not fit for purpose. Compare it to a system such as Gas safe and then you have something worth having.

Im surprised at the reaction of some on here. Times have certainly changed lol. Go back a couple of years on here and most were in complete agreement that the schemes were/are just a man in the middle money grabbing leech....but some would have them seen as the guardians of the trade now...pretty laughable in my humble opinion.

I have said all the way along it should have gone like gas safe you generally don't get people messing with gas fires etc like you do with electrics

I am not saying I agree with the situation, but that is how it is. People DO get refused admission, there was a guy on here just the other day. I believe you need at least a level 3 qual now, not some 3 week bronze rubbish as suggested to become a scheme member. Personally, I don't see how a complete novice could do a short course and get past any assessment I have ever had from any of my former schemes. You might be right about some areas, but as far as I am aware, from general information and from chatting to my local BCO, they adopt the simple rules I outlined.

You might be right about some areas, but as far as I am aware, from general information and from chatting to my local BCO, they adopt the simple rules I outlined.

Ok then so back to my original post (and with the "FACT CAPS KEY" now in bed for the night). I was just after what the opinion was on qualified to BS 7671 17th edition. I believe I meet those requirements so should have a decent chance of getting the fee reduced with my LABC.

I was not after a general discussion over part P and it's constituents. I may start a new thread over the "Part P v Gas Safe" as I have feet in both camps in my day to day work.

About time we had a decent thread on here for a good old discussion, anyway as you were, a friend of mine is going to put an electric supply in his shed..................................................!:)

I was just after what the opinion was on qualified to BS 7671 17th edition
If by that you mean the C&G 2382-xx exam then this is by no means a qualification as an electrician.
All it means is that you can find your way round the regs book.

All that you have to do to pass the exam is:
  • turn up for the exam on the right day
  • spell your name correctly
  • be able to read the questions and look for the answer in the book
its a multiple guess exam, if you just pressed answer (a) for every question you would still score 33%:rolleyes:

that does not make you, or anybody an electrician.

If by that you mean the C&G 2382-xx exam then this is by no means a qualification as an electrician.
All it means is that you can find your way round the regs book.

All that you have to do to pass the exam is:
  • turn up for the exam on the right day
  • spell your name correctly
  • be able to read the questions and look for the answer in the book
its a multiple guess exam, if you just pressed answer (a) for every question you would still score 33%:rolleyes:

that does not make you, or anybody an electrician.

well thanks for that, however I believe it was over a varying number of choices in each question not just 3 options a go (may even be negative marking don't know 100% is 100%), that though is irrelevant as to the validity of the qualification. However you should try to read the posts in there entirety not just come out with glib assumptions as to peoples qualifications, abilities or experience.

I was under the impression that if the work is part of building works which are subject to planning permission and normal building regs inspections by labc then they are not legally allowed to charge any more than the standard building regs inspection for any part of the building regs (part P is just one of many parts of the building regs)

This came from my father when he was still working as a building inspector for our labc.

Reply to LABC don't think I'm qualified to wire my house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock