Discuss Labelling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leezo

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently had an occurrence on a shopfit job I've just finished in Spitalfields where as usual I was the only trade who was beaten with a whip to finish by the hand over date which obviously turned out to be pointless as there were chippies & painters etc there in the following few days, also some staff training took place.

In my rush I knowingly connected a 6mm radial to a 20A RCBO for a glass washer, with the intention to change it when I picked up the 32A from the wholesalers, which as it turned out I missed. The other thing I missed was "labelling the fuseboard"

During the staff training, the glass washer in the potwash kept operating the 20A RCBO due to overloading of the breaker & the board not being labelled caused a problem when the staff looked at the DB.

Genuinely interested to know your thoughts on physically labelling fuse ways, I know it's ideal but I usually rely on a schedule being with the DB & although I wouldn't have missed it in an ideal world, still finishing bits off & testing etc at 9 in the evening is to say the least 'not' ideal! So basically I'd like to know if anyone can point out what the regs say about it, as the client obviously made me feel a bit of a Tw&t about it.

Thanks guys, this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

you should have made it clear to the client that you had rushed to get him up and running and planned to call back .

Yes you should have labelled the board but like tel says its not entirely your fault and you should inform the client that you were working overtime to get the job complete and also mention that you will go back and label the board as soon as you can.

As tel says, make any interim solutions clear to the client. As you suspected that the 20A might operate then it was even more important to label the circuit in this instance.
Personally, coming from an industrial background, I label everything as you can imagine the problems caused otherwise with hundreds of ways.

As tel says, make any interim solutions clear to the client. As you suspected that the 20A might operate then it was even more important to label the circuit in this instance.
Personally, coming from an industrial background, I label everything as you can imagine the problems caused otherwise with hundreds of ways.[/QUOTE

if you don't have any labels written on tape it better than nowt as temp measure

if you don't have any labels written on tape it better than nowt as temp measure

What is?

Edit : Just mentally inserted a comma after the word "labels" and I think it makes sense now....

Surely every electrician has a stack of labels left over from previous installs. Agree though, tape works as a temp measure, or even just pencil it in.

Last edited:

Reply to Labelling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net