Discuss Lack of space to install a new metal consumer unit - advice in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

geezza

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just went to look at a job to replace an old consumer unit which is housed in a recessed metal box, which includes the meter and main cut out. (see picture)
The space available for a new cu is only width 290mm x depth 140mm x height 280mm. Has anyone had a similar problem as I'm struggling to find a metal cu to fit in the space?

Thanks
Geezza

Attachments

• Lack of space to install a new metal consumer unit - advice IMG-20160310-00178 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20160310-00178.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 269
You say its in a metal box does it have a metal door if you so you could fit a plastic one :)

It does have a metal door, but I've spoken to Elecsa support and they say if the manufacturer say its a fire rated enclosure I can fit a plastic cu, i have no chance of finding out that!!

It does have a metal door, but I've spoken to Elecsa support and they say if the manufacturer say its a fire rated enclosure I can fit a plastic cu, i have no chance of finding out that!!

Ring Elecsa back and ask them where the regs say enclosures have to be fire rated, as in my regs it states non - combustible an example of which is ferrous metal.

You might have to make a consumer unit using and small 8 way (PLASTIC) enclosure with 5 RCBOs and a main switch leaving you 1 spare way. as Andy says its in a non combustible enclosure and anyway if you tighten up the connections it will never catch on fire !!!

You might have to make a consumer unit using and small 8 way (PLASTIC) enclosure with 5 RCBOs and a main switch leaving you 1 spare way. as Andy says its in a non combustible enclosure and anyway if you tighten up the connections it will never catch on fire !!!

I'm leaning that way. I think the Elecsa guy wasn't very useful on this occasion.
I'll try and source a suitable cu

Up in Scotland, at least in the area I worked for the most part (I worked in metering for the local DNO), these types of cabinet were quite common. As you've no doubt discovered, with the cover lifted off, you can see that the bottom of the CU itself is a shaped steel plate, which is, I think, spot welded to the cabinet. I'm no expert, but if there were a way to remove that bottom piece, you might then be able to fit a piece of board to affix a new CU. The biggest problem I foresee there is that, legally, you can't do that without having the DNO install an isolator, which itself would take up space. Having said that, the double pole block would be removed and the isolator would probably be placed there. At the same time, I'd anticipate that they'd upgrade the meter tails to modern colours.`It's worth considering whether you could remove the bottom of the unit.

I agree with Andyb here. Here's the full text of the new regulation:

421.1.200 Switchgear assemblies including consumer units shall:

(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible or not readily combustible material, or

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible or not readily combustible material.

NOTE 1: Ferrous metal e.g. steel is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material

NOTE 2: For the purposes of this regulation insulating material e.g. plastic meeting a 960 ºC glow-wire flammability test asdefined in BS EN 60695-2-11 is considered to be an example of a not readily combustible material.

Now, I can see nothing about fire ratings there. My own view is that, as long as you can argue that the cabinet is of a 'non-combustible or not readily combustible material', then you're good to go. I hope you get it sorted out.

Ring Elecsa back and ask them where the regs say enclosures have to be fire rated, as in my regs it states non - combustible an example of which is ferrous metal.

Oh please do this, and record it..... it will be fun to listen to.... :)

Could you not relocate the new CU, outside of the meter box. The circuit cables should then be plenty long enough, which will then stop the DNO being funny about CU being in meter box, should they be so fickle. Know the old CU was already in there, but just a thought.

Could you not relocate the new CU, outside of the meter box. The circuit cables should then be plenty long enough, which will then stop the DNO being funny about CU being in meter box, should they be so fickle. Know the old CU was already in there, but just a thought.

Its a mantel unit. These are designed to have the CCU located in them, that's what they were built for. These were commonly installed in London in council houses, blocks of flats, etc. Mostly with conduits bushed in to the top of the unit with singles used for the wiring. They even make CCU's that bolt in to the units, they are called skeleton boards.

Why make the job difficult trying to bodge a board into the box when there is a perfectly good unit designed specifically to fit in there?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Skeleton_Consumer_Units/index.html

Have you seen that they are manufacturing amendment 3 skeleton boards? Imo it could be argued that the mantel unit could be classed as non combustible enclosure in itself. The only thing though would be the wooden meter board would be in the same enclosure.

Reply to Lack of space to install a new metal consumer unit - advice in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock