Discuss Land Rover 110 for work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Burnt Fingers

I am upgrading to a Landrover 110 Defender next year from a transit connect, and I am a bit scared generally, but my main concern is finding a racking kit or a conversion company to fit the back out. I carry a stupid amount of spares and bits alongside a load of tools and testers (with the odd pie crust obviously) so I need racking but I cannot find anyone that supplies a kit, or even a company that advertises such conversions. Any ideas? I'll be grateful. Replies in future may not be read as the vibration, noise and squinting through a gun-sight windscreen will leave me deaf and blind I fear.

must be made of money or got a lot of offroad work to do Fuel cost and travel time in a landy STUFF that for a caper

My youngest works for Western Power as a linesman and they use landrovers. Maybe worth a call to them (or your local equivalent) to find out who they use for the racking - they may even have kit from a written off one.

ty Lenny - I have a Bott system in the connect but they do not do Landrover kits - sortimo is a useful contact though thanks.

Mogga - its not so much offroad as poor road lol and I charge travel time. Unseen factors force my hand too - when it snows here it really does snow and a lot of my customers live in the middle of nowhere.

But yea they are as efficient as wind turbines to run. Million quid to buy, bits fall off and teh Uk weather is never quite right.

Look at that - several useful and/or witty replies already and same question on Landrover Forums - totally ignored. Bunch of (continued but not printable).

If I can get a roofrack that works I think I will go for it - there is a sortimo fitter in the NE and i might sling a pic or two in. I have a nice electricians forum sticker for it too. Thanks everyone.

I occasionally use my discovery 1 for work, only when there is a risk of flooding and the very rare occasion on settled snow, and believe me when we get a slight dusting it appears every one has forgotten how to drive, BMW's abandoned and no gritting at the right time as all the A roads get it.

Only down side is long lengths of conduit dont fit in, the plus side is short cuts through byways and runs on waste veg oil when I can get hold of it!

I'm not sure about the wisdom of using a landrover as a service vehicle unless obviously the extreme terrain would warrant it. Can't you get one of your local engineering shops to make the racking specifically to your needs?

Good idea Marvo but my insurance company states that racking is crash tested and "proprietory". Up here in North Yorkshire, people use Range Rovers to take the kids to school, and consequently there is no gritting or snow clearing whatsoever. Last year I managed in my connect - but there was only me and scottish power on the roads. I also do a fair amount of work in fields and on farms with roads that look like Port Stanley runway.

How about buying a second hand rack that's easier to source and probably a lot cheaper from another more popular vehicle and make up a mounting kit to fit it to the Landrover?

If you're unfortunate enough to have to use a LR then try the Ex-Military suppliers such as Anchor Supplies Ltd, Europes Leading Genuine Government Surplus Supplier MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale or general and military suppliers such as Land Rover Parts & Range Rover Parts, Accessories, Tyres & Wheels Land Rover Parts | Range Rover Spares & Accessories - Discovery, Defender, Freelander

If you want an answer from the horses mouth so to speak, I'll see if I can get then number for a contact in Special Vehicles at Gaydon or Solihull. They're generally a helpful bunch so may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Reply to Land Rover 110 for work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock