Discuss Landing and bathroom switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Stret

So I have the bathroom light wiring red and black
Landing light red Black
Wires from switch at bottom of stairs red a blue and a yellow

So where do they all go got a 2 gang switch with com l1 l2 on each side

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Landing light red Black

Thanks

Switch wire for landing light and 3core and earth on one switch and the switch wire for bathroom on the other. Obviously CPC's terminated appropriately.

Landing light red Black

Thanks

They go, call an electrician before you injure yourself. :smile:

They go, call an electrician before you injure yourself. :smile:

Well not really as long as it's isolated I don't see any order those wires could be put that would even chase it to trip never mind anything else there just all lives going through a switch not like you can put live to neutral is it. Anyway thanks for your useless input

Well not really as long as it's isolated I don't see any order those wires could be put that would even chase it to trip never mind anything else there just all lives going through a switch not like you can put live to neutral is it. Anyway thanks for your useless input

With an attitude like that i wish you good luck, you are going to need it.

Well you could miss a step in the safe isolation procedure and receive a fatal electric shock. Or there could be a situation where you have a pre existing fault such as a borrowed neutral or a polarity fault, or the one which nearly killed me a few years ago where a mistake by the original installer ultimately led to the earth wire being live at 240V and me being knocked out cold by it.

I was thinking red from downstairs switch to com with the black (to light) in l1along with the yellow in l1 from down stairs then the blue from down stairs switch in l2 along with the permanent live and then the red live from down stairs switch in com. And then the red and black in com and l1 in the other gang for bathroom light, anyone confirm this is correct?

I check everything with tester driver before I touch it anyway and it's really not that difficult to isolate supply it's only a 20 year old property so fairly modern electrics and consumer unit

I check everything with tester driver before I touch it anyway and it's really not that difficult to isolate supply it's only a 20 year old property so fairly modern electrics and consumer unit

Sorry Street but see #3 above. 'Tester drivers' are not a funky bit of kit to use except for maybe putting flat pack together. They should be consigned to the bin.

If you are still determined, look up some wiring diagrams or see other 2 way switch.

Last edited:
It's just to lives with through lives though isn't it so in reality no matter how there switched it's not dangerous

That's irrelevant any way as Im fully trained in turning a switch on a consumer unit to the off position

University of life eh.

Could end up with a Darwin award.

#3 and #10 are giving suggestions.

I'm going pub now.

I'm not wiring a house here it's just a switch what's the big deal

Why are you asking, then?

Anyone can presume or guess, even, from afar but can they be certain what goes where? As has been suggested, call someone suitably qualified to test as required.

Read post 6 and take it in.

This web page shows a standard three wire two way switch wiring, this is what may be in place for the landing light if it is switched at top and bottom of the stairs.
The bathroom switch may be independent of the landing switch.
We cannot tell from a distance which cables do what, without seeing the wiring and testing we cannot safely advise.
If you want to use the website diagram then that is your choice, but do make sure it is safe and you are safe.

It's just to lives with through lives though isn't it so in reality no matter how there switched it's not dangerous

...I would not normally get in the middle of one of these debates...but...your phrase of "lives through lives" is a worry...

Firstly,you will/should not have lives connected together. There will be lives,both permanent and switched,and there will be loads. Also,there may be neutrals,and earths.

One situation,where you will not have an explosion,or fuse blowing,but is nevertheless a concern,is where you may connect,inadvertently,lives from two separate circuits,say ground floor and 1st floor.

This would leave the possibility of a circuit remaining live,with its' labelled MCB,turned off.

It is for reasons such as this,you have received some posts,although jabbing at your pride, are given,in an effort to save harm.

If you would be generous enough to furnish the forum with your occupation,i will guarantee i can come up with a parallel question,which may give you an indication,of the quandary we are facing.

Regards :aureola:

Check the downstairs switch to see which core is used as common (usually yellow) put this yellow to common put landing light red and 3core red to L1 and black of landing light and blue to L2. Other switch is bathroom with red to common and black to L1. Switched lives need indicating and safe isolation procedures followed. Good luck.
P.s you dont need any links between the two switches as they already have there own feeds and doing so could create a danger!

Reply to Landing and bathroom switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock