Discuss Landis+Gyr Smart Meter Info Cover Up in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been following the roll out of smart metering and the possible privacy implications for a while after a thread I made a comment in Feb 2014.

Since then there's been a substantial roll out of these devices in many countries (UK included) and it hasn't been without controversy.

Just for some light reading here's what the EFF has to say about them and their privacy implications. https://stopsmartmeters.wordpress.c...ow-smart-meters-violate-our-right-to-privacy/

Recently there was a case where someone in the US filed a freedom of information request to obtain documents in order to discover whether security measures were being implemented to protect smart meter data that is being collected and networked back to a central store point.

The documents were released by the city power utility (DNO) only for him to receive instant backlash from Landis+Gyr's lawyers who, in an attempt to cover up information contained within them apparently due to the fact it was 'trade secrets' which could encourage terrorist attacks, somehow managed to obtain a court order to get the documents removed from his website. The court order was since overturned.

Here's some links with the relevant nitty gritty;

As US court bans smart meter blueprints from public, sysadmin tells of fight for security info ? The Register

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?tag=smart+meters

This whole episode begs a few questions in my mind;
Why are Landis+Gyr so skittish about info being available to the general public regarding smart meters, the info they collect and the security of the data?
Why was a court so quick to hand out a restraining order without good reason?
The data that smart meters collect will have high value, who will have access to this data and for what reason?

The more I read about smart meters and the potential for invasion of privacy within your own home, the more concerned I become. These cloak and dagger tactics by metering companies are doing nothing to sooth my worries.

https://skyvisionsolutions.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/privacy-impacts-for-smart-grid.pdf
Non invasive load monitoring---> http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=69

Whilst I'll agree it's a possible invasion of privacy I think there's way too much paranoia over what could actually be accessed and what could be assumed from the usage patterns.

A couple of small loads on irregular timers will wreck any pattern tracing.
And I'm sure there's a business opportunity there for someone to produce smart meter confusing equipment.

It's a similar situation to the Millennium bug a LOT of fuss over a simple issue.

Not that it concerns me, I read recently Smart meters still can't cope with Economy 7 yet so that's me off the list.

We were sent a letter recently about our meter needing replacement. The bulk of the letter focused on smart meters, however it did say we could have a "normal" meter instead.

I've opted to continue with a normal meter - this will make things far easier if we want to change suppliers in the future!

all the meter can leak is your electricity usage. it maybe actually quite helpful for managing the electrical grid.
its nothing compared to average smartphone, leaking anything possible including contacts, calendars, pictures.
some have microphone turned on, they possibly listen on you all the time and sent it back to google or facebook!

The largest utility in California, PG&E, Pacific Gas & Electric (Pacific Graft & Extortion, Play Games & Eat, Pigs Goats & Elephants :D) had a huge rollout of smart meters for both gas & electric metering, after a outcry, they now allow customers to have non-smart meters for a extra fee, but they got rid of all the meter readers.

Landis+Gyr Smart Meter Info Cover Up {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Typical single phase meter used by PG&E.

I have the Landis+Gry smart meters lecky and gas The electric meter has a 100A isolator in it that's controlled remotely via a sim card.
Presumably so if I don't pay up they can cut off not sure about the gas . Fair enough for me but what if the control station is hacked ? Imagine the problems if someone turned the power off on every meter?
Yes they can tell what appliances you use too!
UK startup company Navetas has developed a new smart meter technology that, in addition to tracking overall energy use, is able to distinguish the AC unit, TV, refrigerator and all of the various power loads in a user's house from one another. It calls its technology "energy disaggregation," a process where its computer algorithms can be used to learn the different power loads in a house over a week or two depending on how often each is used. The information can then be presented in-home, on the web and via mobile devices, as well as sent back to the utility

more here http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/new-smart-meter-can-tell-your-appliances-apart.html

I personally believe we will get a different tariff rate for different times of the day as well.Smart meter tariffs can be remotely changed.

You can refuse a smart meter or if too late move utility's as they arn't standardised across the utility's yet.

Well the grids been hacked again this time in the USA Its an excellent tool to cause disruption and chaos see
Russian hackers penetrated US electricity grid: report | Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4077800/Russian-hackers-penetrated-US-electricity-grid-report.html

Bet these meters are vulnerable too . Seems they are blaming the Russians again

The blaming of the Russians is purely political. Not that I believe that the Russian Government is a harmless entity, they are not.

It was a Laptop, Hardly the Grid being hacked.

The Burlington Electric Department said it had been alerted by the government Thursday night, carried out a scan and found the malware in one laptop not connected to its grid systems. It said it took action to isolate that laptop.

However anything with a remote connection is vulnerable.
They keep blaming Putin but it could be any Russian group, or even a non Russian group masquerading as Russian hackers.

And you can bet there are plenty of people hacking into Russian systems.

It was a Laptop, Hardly the Grid being hacked.

The Burlington Electric Department said it had been alerted by the government Thursday night, carried out a scan and found the malware in one laptop not connected to its grid systems. It said it took action to isolate that laptop.

However anything with a remote connection is vulnerable.
They keep blaming Putin but it could be any Russian group, or even a non Russian group masquerading as Russian hackers.

And you can bet there are plenty of people hacking into Russian systems.

Ok it was a laptop but it was on the system so if not discovered it could have lead to this. an actual attack. I am not out to blame anyone just to make the point its possible.
In December 2015, a power failure that plunged parts of western Ukraine into the dark was found to be caused by a cyberattack. The Russians were accused of causing the blackout, an allegation they have denied.

And thinking about who could be responsible for the attack, it's more likely to be Mexicans trying to give Trump a dark welcome on the 20th.

Reply to Landis+Gyr Smart Meter Info Cover Up in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock