Discuss Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

What should have happened was that he carry out an Electrical Inspection Condition Report which he should have then sent a copy to your sister. This Report would then itemize any issues which are Coded to indicate their priority at which point it could be discussed with him any remedial works which were required and the financial cost. He should explain the possible ramifications of not having remedial works done because saying a fuse box is old and a new one would meet current Regulations is not good enough.

Thank you. This makes perfect sense to me.

Yes he did. He charged £100.

I wasn't in at the time of the inspection, I had someone awaiting him at the flat so he could carry out the inspection. There were two of them, and I'm told they were at the flat for a few hours and were very thorough.

I was told that I would receive a certificate for this inspection, which I never got. I was told that the EIC for the fuse/distribution installation would supersede everything.
£100 is cheap for a thorought test/inspection, but nevertheless, he should have provided you with an EICR. that's what you contracted him to do and failing to give you an EICR means he's in breach of contract.

Yes he did. He charged £100.

I wasn't in at the time of the inspection, I had someone awaiting him at the flat so he could carry out the inspection. There were two of them, and I'm told they were at the flat for a few hours and were very thorough.

I was told that I would receive a certificate for this inspection, which I never got. I was told that the EIC for the fuse/distribution installation would supersede everything.

Think if I paid £100 for an 'inspection', I would like to have a certificate for that. And if I paid £450 for a CU change, I would expect a separate certificate for that. I'm sure if you speak to Napit, they would suggest the same, although they will refer you back to your electrician.

then those need changing to IP44 or better. if it were me, i'd measure the holes first so as to be able to replace easily with the same size ( or at worst, enlarge the holes if necessary).

I am concerned about the lights. I did ask him on more than one occasion about the bathroom lights.

How can the 'EIC' for installation of fuse box, cover the safety of the entire flat, if the lights in the bathroom are not the correct IP rating?

I have asked him this question on email too. He states that because of the circuitry in this 'all singing' fuse box, then this covers the safety of the bathroom lights.

Which begs the question, why did he quote to fix the bathroom lights in the first place, if the new fuse box covers this aspect?

Think if I paid £100 for an 'inspection', I would like to have a certificate for that. And if I paid £450 for a CU change, I would expect a separate certificate for that. I'm sure if you speak to Napit, they would suggest the same, although they will refer you back to your electrician.

I agree.

Just to clarify, I did get a EIC for the installation of the fusebox.

I did not get any certificate (EICR?) for the initial £100 inspection. Which I feel a tad stupid.

I have replaced several CU's without carrying out an EICR, but only if the existing installation appeared suitable, and I did carry out some initial tests first, something which is (I) included in the cost of replacing the CU. It is not a requirement to issue an EICR, before replacing a CU issued with a EIC.

That said you specifically ask for an 'inspection' certificate, and paid separately for that service. So that's what should be seeking from your electrician. If he/she declines, then you could approach Napit, but schemes do not normally get involved in contractual matters, but they may advice.

What actually are the 'spotlights'? Most sealed down lights are IP65 rated, or are you referring to another kind of luminaire?

These are the lights. I have no idea what IP rating they are. I have a feeling you will spit your red wine all over your carpet when you see the attached pic...

20431739_1408284229292327_4586164740759990218_n.jpg

This is what a fire rated IP65 rated LED down light looks like (example);

main_250.jpg

I am going out for the evening. I will check in over the weekend.

I am very grateful to your replies and help. I will respond to all replies.

At the end of the day, my sister just wants peace of mind that she is legally covered for the electrical safety of the flat (and safety of her brother lol) I'm getting the feeling that unlike the gas, there is no official 'Landlord Electrical Safety' cert and there is a bit of a grey area.

A lot of you are referring to an EICR certificate, which I never got (and paid £100 for an inspection). So this is something I will ask.

I will reply to any other posts over the weekend. Many thanks.

Seems like he has jumped a step by not submitting the original Report and then giving you or your sister a chance to discuss your options with him. I would ask for a copy of the original EICR and if it is not forthcoming inform him you will take it up with NAPIT. Unfortunately we are plagued with electricians, and I use the term lightly who see a fuse board which may not comply with current requirements and which is still perfectly servicable and suggest it is replaced.

I am going out for the evening. I will check in over the weekend.

I am very grateful to your replies and help. I will respond to all replies.

At the end of the day, my sister just wants peace of mind that she is legally covered for the electrical safety of the flat (and safety of her brother lol) I'm getting the feeling that unlike the gas, there is no official 'Landlord Electrical Safety' cert and there is a bit of a grey area.

A lot of you are referring to an EICR certificate, which I never got (and paid £100 for an inspection). So this is something I will ask.

I will reply to any other posts over the weekend. Many thanks.
Is that what was supplied & fitted?

No. They did not supply and fit them. They have been in for over 10 years. The electrician initially said these lights had to be replaced with new IP rated lights.

He quoted for the bathroom lights, but then did not go ahead with the job, because they had the wrong lights to replace them (this is another story).

The important point, is the fact that he said that the new fuse box (with it's all-singing circuitry) would supersede the safety of the lights, because the fuse box gives the safety & protection needed.

Seems like he has jumped a step by not submitting the original Report and then giving you or your sister a chance to discuss your options with him. I would ask for a copy of the original EICR and if it is not forthcoming inform him you will take it up with NAPIT. Unfortunately we are plagued with electricians, and I use the term lightly who see a fuse board which may not comply with current requirements and which is still perfectly servicable and suggest it is replaced.

I agree that it is likely he jumped a step by not issuing a EICR.

I am not in a position to say whether the old fuse box was serviceable. What I will say is that I believe the box was decades old and it was covered in rust.

No. They did not supply and fit them. They have been in for over 10 years. The electrician initially said these lights had to be replaced with new IP rated lights.

He quoted for the bathroom lights, but then did not go ahead with the job, because they had the wrong lights to replace them (this is another story).

The important point, is the fact that he said that the new fuse box (with it's all-singing circuitry) would supersede the safety of the lights, because the fuse box gives the safety & protection needed.

Arrgh, I see. No those fittings do not look suitable to be installed in a bathroom, in a zone or otherwise IMO. But that is a separate matter, to be dealt with separately.
Edit; need a drink!

while your new all singing dancing CU vastly improves safety, esp. in a bathroom, it will not stop steam getting in those lights, esp halogens which run very hot and have been known to explode, showering whoever is in the bath with shards of hot glass. IP44 or better IP55 with LED, either GU10s or fully integrated is the way forward. the integrated ones look a heap better.

There is every chance your existing board needed replacing and no one is doubting you now have improved circuit protection. The way to procure this suggested replacement is to itemise so many issues in the EICR that the remedial solution is to replace it.

Reply to Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net