Discuss Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm guessing he's been paid................ but to charge £100 and not provide the unsatisfactory EICR, then charge £450 for a board change ........... did this include upgrades to earthing and bonding?

Do you have the EIC? Has he promised a Part P certificate?

So in summary, you are £550 down, and have nothing to present to the letting agents........

Being a electrician and in the letting game, I can say if its registered with building regs. You are 100% legal, legally its gas and portable appliances which have regular inspections. Your condition report is only good until change of occupant. Ie you move out. It does sound like you have been misled on the first inspection, this could have been sold as a "visual inspection only" either way you would receive paperwork on that. By the sounds of it you will get to the bottom of it. :)

Being a electrician and in the letting game, I can say if its registered with building regs. You are 100% legal, legally its gas and portable appliances which have regular inspections.

Please can you clarify exactly what you mean by being registered with building regs? Building regs are documents, nothing more.
Also please specify which laws require regular inspections of gas and portable appliances?

Please can you clarify exactly what you mean by being registered with building regs? Building regs are documents, nothing more.
Also please specify which laws require regular inspections of gas and portable appliances?

I did respond Dave with a reply, "wouldn't post" This is HSE territory regardless of letting portfolio. I would go on to explain further. "Regs" my error, building control being the collective word. If its registered then legally the landlord has mitigated the risk. As we all know a fuseboard would require a full certificate of tested circuits. My old company was involved with these matters. which the HSE used such information to put a case forward involving a major contractor.

As we all know a fuseboard would require a full certificate of tested circuits.
That's actually a matter of debate. An EIC issued for the replacement of a DB is simply certifying the DB installation as compliant with BS7671 as this is the scope of work. However, there is a need to ascertain that the safety of this is not impaired by the existing installation and will not impair the safety of the existing installation. So it's necessary to ensure that the protective devices (assuming of a different type) will operate in the required time and that the connections you have made in the DB are satisfactory. So some would argue that this can be met by verifying cpc continuity to the first point on the circuit as opposed to the last. It's actually a bit of a grey area as you are not in any way certifying the existing installation (although you should make any necessary comments on it in the appropriate section of the EIC).

What's that got to do with my post?? The guy wanted reassurance that he's safe. The whole point is that someone has taken ownership of the work. Again mitigating the risk of responsibility. Your right its an mot, but if that installation kills somebody. Then the contractor is found not to have a paper trail of procedure. Then who's fault is it? Not the landlord. The electrician. A house blew up a few months ago in manchester with a gas fault. HSE went for the gas fitter. Sole trader or not.

The electrician and the landlord could both be found guilty.
Your right,
Only if they are in cahoots or limitations have been set by the landlord. If the landlord has employed a registered contractor received original paperwork, its the electrician who's to blame. Ask your inspector when he comes. Im not into this one up game, I'm providing my experience, my agents wont even allow me to let unless I have the latter

Your right,
Only if they are in cahoots or limitations have been set by the landlord. If the landlord has employed a registered contractor received original paperwork, its the electrician who's to blame. Ask your inspector when he comes. Im not into this one up game, I'm providing my experience, my agents wont even allow me to let unless I have the latter

Inspector of what? The only inspector I ever see is the one who does our explosives storage licence.

Landlord certificate.... Crap what is required is an EICR this is a full inspection of the installation. "You need a new consumer unit" Heard that one too lots of times
You may well do but the Inspection recommendation codes on the EICR will tell the full story.
If a new cu is fitted then a EIC must be provided.
Make sure you use a fully qualified electrician. Not all the best tradesmen are NAPIT/NICEIC
Some of the worst quality work I have witnessed has been certified by their members.

Your governing body inspector for approved contractor status or domestic installation. Relative to the thread. Niceic ECA Napit

Ha ha, that's almost funny.

The schemes do nothing once they have your money ....... Unless you use their logo and are not a member.

The closest the schemes get to inspecting anything, is the site YOU choose for your annual assessment ......

So I take it nobody is a member?? I'm a industrial electrician and we carry the scheme, half the inductions I do request it, wouldn't get the work otherwise. All FM companies ask for our scheme before we get on the books. Anyway this is way beyond the subject matter.

I'm not sure how the law works down south, but up here in Scotland, an EIC can be used in lieu of an EICR to prove that the installation complies with the guidance relating to private lets. I quote from Electrical Safety Laws For Private Rental Properties In Scotland, as published by the Scottish Government:

You may have a copy of an Electrical Installation Certificate rather than an EICR if:

- Your property is a new build
- The property has been fully rewired.

If you have an Electrical Installation Certificate, you can provide this to demonstrate that your property complies with the new guidance, provided that the date of the next inspection indicated on the certificate has not elapsed.

However, there is no mention of an EIC issued after a consumer changeover being acceptable! Do the same conditions apply in England and Wales?

Reply to Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock