Discuss Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

However, there is no mention of an EIC issued after a consumer [unit] changeover being acceptable! Do the same conditions apply in England and Wales?
Because it isn't acceptable - it would only certify the replacement of the distribution board and not the rest of the electrical installation.

Because it isn't acceptable - it would only certify the replacement of the distribution board and not the rest of the electrical installation.
Then a fuseboard would be a minor works. Not a EIC which it cant be. Your changing the makeup of the installation by fitting a new board. So should be tested fully. Otherwise you would have departures as long as your arm, either way the contractor would still be at fault.

Last edited:
However, there is no mention of an EIC issued after a consumer [unit] changeover being acceptable! Do the same conditions apply in England and Wales?
Then a fuseboard would be a minor works. Not a EIC which it cant be. Your changing the makeup of the installation by fitting a new board. So should be tested fully. Otherwise you would have departures as long as your arm, either way the contractor would still be at fault.
How would you? Your certificate in no way relates to the existing wiring.

I agree with b, if you change the ccu you should do a full test on the installation. If the installation fails in any way there would be a record in the "Schedule of items tested" and "comments on existing installation" using additional pages if necessary. The EIC should be sufficient.

And i know a lot of the sole traders on here frown upon the NIC etc but at least we get one inspection more than you guys a year!;)

I agree with b, if you change the ccu you should do a full test on the installation. If the installation fails in any way there would be a record in the "Schedule of items tested" and "comments on existing installation" using additional pages if necessary. The EIC should be sufficient

You verify that the wiring won't adversely affect the safety of your DB installation, and that your DB installation won't adversely affect the safety of the existing wiring. You do not, however, take ownership of the existing wiring and the Electrical Installation Certificate in no way certifies the existing wiring.

And i know a lot of the sole traders on here frown upon the NIC etc but at least we get one inspection more than you guys a year!;)
Not sure what sole trader has to do with it. I have an annual assessment by the NICEIC and an annual inspection & audit by RECI so I'm certainly not afraid of having my work scrutinised.

I agree
Where has this idea that changing a consumer unit involves testing the whole installation?
Where has this idea that having tested for safe connection of the circuits to the new consumer unit,it can somehow be a replacement for a Eicr ?

The Eic is for the work involved with the consumer unit only,the Eic will reference that particular job,in my opinion it has nothing whatsoever to do with condition reporting and the testing and inspection that a Eicr requires

You verify that the wiring won't adversely affect the safety of your DB installation, and that your DB installation won't adversely affect the safety of the existing wiring. You do not, however, take ownership of the existing wiring and the Electrical Installation Certificate in no way certifies the existing wiring.

Not sure what sole trader has to do with it. I have an annual assessment by the NICEIC and an annual inspection & audit by RECI so I'm certainly not afraid of having my work scrutinised.

On point one, if you do a test then surely you have "taken ownership" (hate that expression btw) of the installation, last person working on it and testing it etc.

On your 2nd I think your on the same page as me. Our assessor comes around once a year but it's probably once a year more than the sparks on here who snipe at the schemes.

it's probably once a year more than the sparks on here who snipe at the schemes.

I snipe at the schemes and they thoroughly deserve a sniping :)
In the last 10 or so years they have been nothing less than a complete and utter embarrassment to what was the respected trade of electrician

I say that as someone who has worked under their umbrella for most of my working life

it's probably once a year more than the sparks on here who snipe at the schemes.

I snipe at the schemes and they thoroughly deserve a sniping :)
In the last 10 or so years they have been nothing less than a complete and utter embarrassment to what was the respected trade of electrician

I say that as someone who has worked under their umbrella for most of my working life

Your probably right Des, they are a racket!:D

But on your other post about "Where has this idea that changing a consumer unit involves testing the whole installation?"............
Once you have disconnected the final circuits from the supply, you have to ensure they are safe before re-energising them. You can only do that if you know ADS will work, the insulation is up to scratch and there are no mechanical defects likely to give rise to danger. So you're stuck with having to do a full test and all that entails, or you would be working outside the scope of BS7671.

Also remember you will have altered the breaking current of the protective devices if you've swapped out from a fuse board to MCBs, so they'll be carrying more fault current for a shorter time. Whether the existing circuits are up to this can only be determined by testing them.

:)

Yes sorry i worded that wrong and can't edit it, the PFC doesn't change (but the new device can carry a lot more fault current)

Reply to Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock