Discuss Landlord Electrical Safety Check in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cj.dodgson

Hello,

I've been asked by an estate agent to do a electrical safety check on a rental property. I have never done one and wondered what is involved and what paper work was needed.

Can anyone help?

Hello,

I've been asked by an estate agent to do a electrical safety check on a rental property. I have never done one and wondered what is involved and what paper work was needed.

Can anyone help?

If you gotta ask, you gotta question whether you should be doing it.

Regards Ap

Last edited:
You should never undertake ANY work that you are not already competent in, or use kit that has not been calibrated, I have done a great deal of inspection and testing, dating back to the 15th Edition, 16th edition, 17th edition (including amendments), have twice updated a 2391 exam and assessment, have never had a certificate or report bounce and still would not consider myself anything more than competent for domestic commercial and industrial work.

I don't do street lighting, traffic lights, lifts, etc since although I know how they work, I have no experience, training or certification accrediting me as competent to do so. Nobody knows it all and no-one should risk life and property believing they can pick it up as they go along.

I am sorry, but "Maybe but i'm sure when i find out what is involved i will be more than capable of completing one." just won't cut it.

Last edited:
An EICR is based on your knowledge and experience of inspection and testing and your knowledge of the regs. You are required to give your professional opinion on the condition of the installation and any code you give to an item must be backed up with a reference to the regs.
If you are unsure of what to do you should not undertake the work

I dont do them myself but from what I've seen round my way it's generally performed in there van just outside there property (using generic figures and ticks)

Thats not a joke or sarcastic by the way

Regards AP

This is where my confusion has arisen because they didn't want a EICR, but a Safety check. So they just want me to pop my head in the door and say everything is ok?! Not up for that!

An EICR is based on your knowledge and experience of inspection and testing and your knowledge of the regs. You are required to give your professional opinion on the condition of the installation and any code you give to an item must be backed up with a reference to the regs.
If you are unsure of what to do you should not undertake the work

I know what a EICR is and this is not what they want. I'm starting to see they just want a cheap "a ok" on the electrical front.

This is where my confusion has arisen because they didn't want a EICR, but a Safety check. So they just want me to pop my head in the door and say everything is ok?! Not up for that!

imo "safety check" = all responsibilty passed on to you = duck when judge throws book at you.
Bet they would say in court it was an EICR.....

Reply to Landlord Electrical Safety Check in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net