Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Lap c*ap... I know, but its requested by the customer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

A good customer of mine has bought a brand new house, with existing outside sockets of the Lap brand, fitted by the builders, I don't know who did the electrical work.
    The external sockets (3 of) are wired on the rfc… He would like another socket at the bottom of the garden for his "beer shed" fridge, and maybe another one. Asked for them to match the Lap ones on the house.
    The question is, do Lap do an external 13A switch fuse? I only see sockets and lightswitches on Screwfix. (is Screwfix the only supplier of Lap?)

Just typing this... I think I've got a solution. Take the external socket off the rfc, install a SFCU inside and have everything outside as a radial off it.

2. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

I saw a picture of lap cable in an article about rs components.

Might be worth a look

3. littlespark

Different Lap, @ferg@ferg looks like.
    Industrial motors and controls. But thanks anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kingeri

kingeri Electrician's Arms

The Lap stuff looks really nice but I have regretted installing it in the past. The switches on the sockets have a tendency to just stop working....usually they just get stuck in the 'ON' position. I've also had a couple that have stopped accepting plugs properly...in that they will only go half way in, actually quite dangerous really.

I actually have a few spares which I am keeping for a couple of customers when I get the inevitable phone call.

As far as availability....it is all on the Screwfix website, as far as I know it is their own make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PEG

PEG Respected Member

I had a LAP SFCU which did not turn off...:) a very good reminder to rely on checking safe isolation,using proper means...and not just a manufacturer's promise :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Have you told the customer that you and others have had problems with Lap items malfunctioning in the past?
    See what he says. If he insists on you installing something that you are not happy with then maybe you could put something in the quote, to the affects of: If the Lap item fails within the warranty period you will replace the part, but the customer has to pay you for the time. Just a thought..

7. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

I think the LAP weatherproof sockets seem pretty good. Well made, robust and at present no failures. Sorry for not answering the question though.

8. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

You could buy the outdoor single socket, and swap out the 1 gang socket for a fused spur

9. SparkAndy

SparkAndy CCTV / Alarms

If the existing external socket is on the ring then surely you could spur from it for another socket?

10. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Let the customer purchase it and tell him you are supplying no warranty with it as it is the single worst brand I have ever seen or installed it is such poor quality I'm surprised it even passes to be on the market

11. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Funnily enough I've had no issues at all with Lap, but BG accessories is another story. IMO they've gone downhill in recent years, even the 'premium' Nexus stuff. Although the external sockets are good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. littlespark

Thanks for replies.

Spur from existing outside socket was feasible as it would be a spur from the ring, but customer now wants a second socket further along the bottom of the garden. Can’t have a spur off a spur without the FCU.

Already thought of replacing a single socket plate with an FCU inside the external rated box, but it’s the wrong shape. Not standard square shape.

I think I’ll suggest to customer turning the outside socket into a spur and fitting an FCU inside. Then just link from socket to socket to socket as a radial. I am assuming there’s a double socket inside and enough space to add a box and FCU.

13. DT1991

DT1991 Regular EF Member

• Like Like x 2