Discuss large 2 gang weatherproof switch needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just fitted a BG 2gang weatherproof switch.
switch.jpg
At present only 1 of the gangs is in use to switch 5 x 200w LED floodlights.

I used 6mm 3 core SWA as it was a long run from the CU and Voltage drop forced the larger cable.

I only just got 2 x 6mm cables into the 2gang switch. In a year or the customer will want another 5 floodlights switched from the other gang, but I will not be able to fit another 6mm in there.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is there a larger 2 gang switch on the market?
2. Is there a larger back box that BG do that would fit on to the existing?
3. Any other ideas? Preferable not 2 x 1gang switches which will be the last option due to the layout.

Cheers guys.

Why not drop the cable size at the switch to one that facilitates easier connection to the switches ?

Do you mean terminate the 6mm in a separate enclosure, then have the 2G switch and take the outputs out to another enclosure (or the same enclosure) and out on 2 x 6mm?

Do you mean terminate the 6mm in a separate enclosure, then have the 2G switch and take the outputs out to another enclosure (or the same enclosure) and out on 2 x 6mm?

I'll leave that to the installer. A small box next to the switch would be a neat roomy way to sort it. Connect the 6mm to a smaller cable size more suited to the switch.

Why not drop the cable size at the switch to one that facilitates easier connection to the switches ?

Stick one of these next to the switch to terminate the SWA into;

BG IP66 Junction Box 113 x 113 x 55mm - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65903

Blimey I must be tired. Thats ridiculously simple and I've done it before!
I think its a case of getting home after a long day and thinking 'I'll ask the forum', rather than sleeping on it and realising how simple it is the next day.

Cheers guys :oops:

What's the switch rated to? 5x 200 Watt Floodlights is a considerable load when you consider LED's can have a power factor as low as 0.5 and then there's inrush current....

What's the switch rated to? 5x 200 Watt Floodlights is a considerable load when you consider LED's can have a power factor as low as 0.5 and then there's inrush current....
It's a 20A switch, each gang I would assume is 10A. The lights I have fitted have a power factor of >0.9 so current drawn from each light should be 0.97A (assuming PF of 0.9).
How does that look to you Marvo? Would you say the present switch is acceptable?

It will be a 10A Type B circuit breaker (there will be 10 x 200w LED's eventually. I don't know what the inrush current for these lights is though so maybe a Type c will be needed.

0.9 PF is very good for LED's and as Tel says the rating is for each switch so the load won't be a problem.

You mean switch on surge?
Yes, surge current, start current, inrush current, not sure what terminology you use.

Reply to large 2 gang weatherproof switch needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net