Discuss Large scale solar for static caravans in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thomas.b

Hello all, having spent a few days researching solar panels, contacting companies and doing maths I'm looking for a second opinion on my issue;
I have been tasked with an appropriate solar means of powering a static caravan 30ft x 9ft roughly in size. To fully power the home it would take around 3500W (In the UK just thought i'de add that due to climate). The panels are limited in weight as the roof isn't very strong and "normal" panels would fall through, therefore I've looked into flexible, thin film panels and solar membranes. From what I can work out it can't be done power wise as on average with the whole roof covered in panels it would only generate around 1800W. Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.​

30x9 is tiny for a static these days, the average size now is about 35x12. Most older static caravan plots are are on a 16a supply, with the newer ones on a 32a hook up. It's surprising how strong a static caravan roof is (as long as its not rotten, I've stood on them before now for various reasons). I'd love to see solar on a static, interesting project for sure. I've worked a lot on statics (previous job was fixing them), so if I can be of any help which I doubt, let me know.

Is this an 'off-grid' i.e. no hook-up installation.
If so how is it powered at the moment?
What happens at night?
Will need a battery back up?
Do you want DC or AC?
Sorry you need to give a full specification of your needs before abyone can answer it properly.

Reply to Large scale solar for static caravans in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net