Discuss Large Volt Drop in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy

-
Reaction score
Hi Folks
This is my first post, but I've been reading many posts over the last few months and have found this forum very informative and some times very humorous, Thank you all.

I have recently come across a problem whilst doing some PAT testing for a customer that has left me confused. Although this is nothing to do with PAT testing it was my PAT testing meter that highlighted the problem when I plugged it into a socket.

The property is a 4 year old Timber barn and the loft has a small ring circuit with a spur off it feeding a socket below for a small telly.

My problem is that all of the sockets are only giving voltage readings of 60v but the reading for the circuit at the CU is the standard 240v
The only thing that I can think of is that when building the property someone has banged a nail through a cable somewhere.
I have been round all of the sockets and checked connections etc and found nothing obviously wrong.
When I mentioned it to the customer he said don't worry its probably been like it for ever and the sockets only supply low voltage stuff anyway.

Well I am concerned that its wrong and there is possibly a nightmare waiting to happen.
Im thinking of contacting the customer and trying to get him to let me rectify the problem
Is there anything else it could be?

I await your reply's with baited breath :)

need to know a lot more. are appliances plugged into these sockets working OK? what are the sockets used for? and more.

Appliances are plugged in and working. All low voltage stuff.
All voltages tested with a multimeter. Fluke 1653b
60 volts at each socket (thought i'd said that)
240 volts at CU for Circuit (thought i'd said that)

Could be looking at some Power supply 12/24VDC ,60V AC above earth ,and a very confused pat tester box.
(Customer says worry not )... but you know something is off !

Switch to DC , on anything apparently 0V !

Check appliances not 120V and you are seing some weird 60-0-60 Configuration .

Last edited:
Appliances are plugged in and working. All low voltage stuff.
All voltages tested with a multimeter. Fluke 1653b
60 volts at each socket (thought i'd said that)
240 volts at CU for Circuit (thought i'd said that)
I think SC asked what the 60Volts referred to L-N, N-E, L-E When you say all low voltage stuff, what exactly do you mean? the system you are working on 24o Volts IS LOW VOLTAGE.

I did indeed ask what the 60v was in respect to. If it's line/neutral, you could have a loose connection at the board. It's one thing sticking your probe (oooh err) in the MCB terminal screw and the neutral bar, but if it's loose, it's not going to help.

My problem is that all of the sockets are only giving voltage readings of 60v but the reading for the circuit at the CU is the standard 240v

So many questions...

For a start, describe exactly how you are making these voltage measurements, both at the sockets and at the CU.

Thanks for your help guys but as I'm 2 hours drive away from the customer I'll sort it out myself when I'm back there and delve deeper when I can.
Toooo many questions and not a lot of help / suggestions
I was worried that this would happen as I've seen lots of times on here
Feels like I was back at collage

( Customer may be , vague if he knows of some 240-120 convertor box ...
wired inappropriately )

IEC cables to USA plugs should have been clue ... GONE !

If its wired weird , confirm a known good earth ref .

60V sounds planned .

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys but as I'm 2 hours drive away from the customer I'll sort it out myself when I'm back there and delve deeper when I can.
Toooo many questions and not a lot of help / suggestions
I was worried that this would happen as I've seen lots of times on here
Feels like I was back at collage

And you still expect more help?
The questions you have been asked are relevant and will help with diagnosing the problem.

OP, unfortunately you're the one that's been to site and none of us (to my knowledge) are telepathic (although I am getting hints of beer and vino emanating from around Cheshire/Staffordshire and Northants for some reason) so it's natural we're going to ask questions to try and establish the fullest picture we can before dishing out advice, hence you see it happen a lot.

It's not meant to be a pop quiz, but your OP was a bit thin in terms of information especially regarding the measurements. 60v.... between where? (you've answered, stating between L-N and L-E), but when measured at the board (I'm assuming the neutral/earth bar and the MCB output terminal screwhead) you're getting 240v.

So if this was my problem, I'd be checking terminations and device connections in the CU. Especially as the issue appears to be affecting all sockets on the circuit... if it's a ring final circuit there is only one common place and that would be the CU, unless it's a lollipop, then there are two. If it's a radial, are the sockets the only thing on the circuit? If there is maybe a SFCU as the first connection, could be a loose connection in there which is having a knock on effect on the rest of them. But, as you can see, there are a lot of possibilities and so lots of questions.

Do you have other electrical test equipment (such as an earth fault loop impedance meter, low range continuity tester etc.) to test the circuit itself for other faults?

IEC cables to USA plugs should have been clue ... GONE !

Where did that come from?

Reply to Large Volt Drop in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock