Discuss Large Volt Drop in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am in Northants, I hasten to add not born in Northants and no devils juice has passed by lips:innocent:
I'm just about to have a sip or 6, like many I hate posts like this one, with very little information, with responses from lots of people only to be told, not much in the way of help was forth coming, as I get older (yes it was my birthday on Tuesday) I tend to get rather upset at some of the more, shall we say difficult posts to get any help from the poster, to that end I will not take part in any further discussion with regards to this post. Instead I will retire to the Drawing Room with her in doors, and continue to sip the red nectar.

I'm just about to have a sip or 6, like many I hate posts like this one, with very little information, with responses from lots of people only to be told, not much in the way of help was forth coming, as I get older (yes it was my birthday on Tuesday) I tend to get rather upset at some of the more, shall we say difficult posts to get any help from the poster, to that end I will not take part in any further discussion with regards to this post.

A belated Happy Birthday Pete ;):)

Well belated birthday greetings :)

I shall be indulging in a beer or two later as compensation for coming home absolutely filthy three days in a row this week, so I shall raise a bottle or tinny to you :D

Your welcome buddy, enjoy your tipple. I'll have some later :).

As for the thread, I'm not even going to bother responding. My crystal ball is in for repair & the OP's attitude stinks.
Off to pick the kids up, catch you later.

OP, unfortunately you're the one that's been to site and none of us (to my knowledge) are telepathic (although I am getting hints of beer and vino emanating from around Cheshire/Staffordshire and Northants for some reason) so it's natural we're going to ask questions to try and establish the fullest picture we can before dishing out advice, hence you see it happen a lot.

It's not meant to be a pop quiz, but your OP was a bit thin in terms of information especially regarding the measurements. 60v.... between where? (you've answered, stating between L-N and L-E), but when measured at the board (I'm assuming the neutral/earth bar and the MCB output terminal screwhead) you're getting 240v.

So if this was my problem, I'd be checking terminations and device connections in the CU. Especially as the issue appears to be affecting all sockets on the circuit... if it's a ring final circuit there is only one common place and that would be the CU, unless it's a lollipop, then there are two. If it's a radial, are the sockets the only thing on the circuit? If there is maybe a SFCU as the first connection, could be a loose connection in there which is having a knock on effect on the rest of them. But, as you can see, there are a lot of possibilities and so lots of questions.

Do you have other electrical test equipment (such as an earth fault loop impedance meter, low range continuity tester etc.) to test the circuit itself for other faults?

Where did that come from?
Thanks for the info much appreciated.
You've confirmed my thoughts, so I'll be checking/testing everything on the circuit
The one place I couldn't get to for long was CU as we had to vacate the cabin as it had been booked out
As I keep saying the instrument I used for my testing wasn't the pat tester.
It was/is a Fluke Multimeter 1653b (does pretty much everything)
As I said to begin with its a sm Ring final circuit with 1 spur off.
I think that people have assumed I'm not qualified

Thanks for the info much appreciated.
You've confirmed my thoughts, so I'll be checking/testing everything on the circuit
The one place I couldn't get to for long was CU as we had to vacate the cabin as it had been booked out
As I keep saying the instrument I used for my testing wasn't the pat tester.
It was/is a Fluke Multimeter 1653b (does pretty much everything)
As I said to begin with its a sm Ring final circuit with 1 spur off.
I think that people have assumed I'm not qualified

You're welcome.

I didn't check the model number, but multimeter and multi-function tester are different things to me. One is what I use to test electrical installations and the other is what I use to do diagnostic work on electronic equipment. So I've (incorrectly) assumed 'multimeter' = 'multimeter' when in fact you're talking about an MFT. I'm not big on Fluke model numbers so it didn't click, hence my question about other test gear.

I re-read your OP whilst writing my reply and I missed the part where you said it was a ring final, sorry. So yes, check at the start of the circuit for loose connections and work from there.

If the place isn't too old, do they have the EIC from the original installation? I'd be asking for that and check some of the readings for the circuit against what's down on the cert. Could be a good indication of changes they haven't mentioned.

2 hours drive... hope you're charging them for that :)

Good luck and please come back and let us know what you find.

I'm just about to have a sip or 6, like many I hate posts like this one, with very little information, with responses from lots of people only to be told, not much in the way of help was forth coming, as I get older (yes it was my birthday on Tuesday) I tend to get rather upset at some of the more, shall we say difficult posts to get any help from the poster, to that end I will not take part in any further discussion with regards to this post. Instead I will retire to the Drawing Room with her in doors, and continue to sip the red nectar.
Your welcome buddy, enjoy your tipple. I'll have some later :).

As for the thread, I'm not even going to bother responding. My crystal ball is in for repair & the OP's attitude stinks.
Off to pick the kids up, catch you later.
I apologise if you think my attitude stinks I never intend to upset people I just find it frustrating that I have to repeat stuff.
I also apologise for not having more information for everyone but it was a couple of weeks ago and its all I had and its been bugging me.
All I was really looking for was a couple of pointers I'd possibly not thought of.
Again please accept my apologies and I'll try harder next time.

You're welcome.

I didn't check the model number, but multimeter and multi-function tester are different things to me. One is what I use to test electrical installations and the other is what I use to do diagnostic work on electronic equipment. So I've (incorrectly) assumed 'multimeter' = 'multimeter' when in fact you're talking about an MFT. I'm not big on Fluke model numbers so it didn't click, hence my question about other test gear.

I re-read your OP whilst writing my reply and I missed the part where you said it was a ring final, sorry. So yes, check at the start of the circuit for loose connections and work from there.

If the place isn't too old, do they have the EIC from the original installation? I'd be asking for that and check some of the readings for the circuit against what's down on the cert. Could be a good indication of changes they haven't mentioned.

2 hours drive... hope you're charging them for that :)

Good luck and please come back and let us know what you find.
Sorry you are right I should have said Multifunction tester. My mistake.
Would be nice to be paid for the journey but it was quite a lot of work so I just charged all on a day rate (3 days). They've also asked me to do the electrics on a new very large cabin they are building in a few months (loads of work) :)

I will definitely let you know what I find.

Reply to Large Volt Drop in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock