Discuss Latest HOC committee (20/01/14), DCLG get grilled this time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A link to the video stream of the meeting is below.

Player

Since watching this I have sent a short email to Mr Betts outlining my concern about the misleading use of the phrase 'Qualified Supervisor', as we all know that the minimum required qualification of a QS is the 2382. Bear this in mind whilst watching :)

Yours truly,

Your friendly neighbourhood Field Marshal :D

Thanks for the link DS

For those who perhaps haven't time to watch it all I noted a couple of interesting (actually infuriating) parts:

At 16-34-10 Stephen Williams informs the committee that qualified supervisors all have level 3/apprenticeships and only the other employees in a given company may be Electrical Trainee.

At 16-20-18 They are questioned by the chair about the fact that 'electricians' with no quals or exp can be working in people's houses (lot of squirming and ignorance to the facts)

Worth a look

Yes saw that, might work in their fantasy world, but in the real world it can't, although, sadly you only have to look on this and other forums to see that these schemes are what they are, scams.

Sadly I no longer work (retired) but a friend of mine has a son who works as a QS for a small contracting company in Northampton, some of the stuff he tells me over a pint or two makes my blood run, example the boss forging signatures and test results on certificates.

They are as you say ignorant to the facts, have no idea as to what really goes on.

A link to the video stream of the meeting is below.

Player

Since watching this I have sent a short email to Mr Betts outlining my concern about the misleading use of the phrase 'Qualified Supervisor', as we all know that the minimum required qualification of a QS is the 2382. Bear this in mind whilst watching :)

Yours truly,

Your friendly neighbourhood Field Marshal :D

Donkey****e for all your splendid work mein Field Marshal :)

- - - Updated - - -

Cheeky bump :)

Wor Lass has two of those!!!

Doesn't necessarily need to be active, it just needs to be read and the video watched! lol

I watched this on Monday night. Pleased to see that the committee was asking some quite searching questions about the qualifications of individual 'electricians' within a firm and how they are supervised, or otherwise, by the QS; leading on to the issue of whether there should be a 'Licence to Practise' for all electricians (like Gas Safe).

I watched this on Monday night. Pleased to see that the committee was asking some quite searching questions about the qualifications of individual 'electricians' within a firm and how they are supervised, or otherwise, by the QS; leading on to the issue of whether there should be a 'Licence to Practise' for all electricians (like Gas Safe).

I'm not entirely sure if Gas Safe is any different to the sparky scams to be honest.

I was a CORGI member and didn't see much benefit - they were very keen on pushing their own branded overpriced workwear and tools but that was about all.

When they lost the franchise - for thats what it was / is - and whoever fronts Gas safe took it over, I just didn't bother with it. As far as I was concerned, I had been trained and assessed and had the relevant certificate and card to prove competence and that was good enough.

My training and assessment cost over £900 and had to be repeated every five years. I saw no point in paying any more money just for somebody form Gas Safe to look at my certificate & card, write it down in their book and make me pay another couple of hundred quid every year just for their card which had printed on the back of it the exact same information about me as my ACS one!!

Edit.

I'm retired now, but Tidyboiler will tell you that whenever we're out and about I am constantly catching out the corner of my eye incorrectly fitted or incorrectly sited boiler flues sticking out of properties so it's great to see Gas safe is keeping everybody nice and safe!!

It boils my pi$$.

I've known for ages that TB loves sad geordies looking at flues, but then again, a tidy boiler....a tidy flue, presumably.

edit. watched most of the meeting, nice bit of sqwirming, there.

I'm retired now, but Tidyboiler will tell you that whenever we're out and about I am constantly catching out the corner of my eye incorrectly fitted or incorrectly sited boiler flues sticking out of properties so it's great to see Gas safe is keeping everybody nice and safe!!

It boils my pi$$.

Oh yes................. confirmed................ :83::38:

Made interesting viewing that meeting. It was very apparent that Certsure and Napit are trying to drive the future legislation with their QS system I assume as a damage limitation exercise but the committee chairman appeared to be pushing towards a licensing or qualification system for all operatives

As Certsure have two of the competent persons brands (NICEIC & ELECSA) and are linking up with Napit and lobbying the government where are the the other 5 competent persons brands and why do they not appear to be fighting their corner and putting forward any proposals

Get a strong feeling from this and the previous meeting that Certsure feel it's a done deal that they will be the registration body to enforce the legislation that they are putting forward unopposed this will only perpetuate the current industry problems IMO especially training in which they have a vested interest

Reply to Latest HOC committee (20/01/14), DCLG get grilled this time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock