Discuss leaking resistance _0,450 Megaohm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I recently encountered a problem with a washing machine.
The washing machine tripped the RCD during its operation .
I visited the place, uncovered the metallic parts of the washing
machine and I searched for the current leak.
I measured a leakage of 0,450 Megaoghn between on leg of the resistance and the earth point.
I used a standard multimeter.
The funny thing is that mow the washing machine does not trip the RCD even if I take 0,450 Megaohm between one leg and Earth.

The resistance is capable of hotting the water without tripping the RCD.

Thanks for your reply,but I suppose that the problem is with
the resistance.Since I read a continuity (0.450 Megaohm)between one leg and earth, I think this was the problem. However ,this leaking does not trip the RCD immediately. Maybe , if the resistance works for a little time,then the leaking current will trip the RCD.

Hello, I recently encountered a problem with a washing machine.
The washing machine tripped the RCD during its operation .
I visited the place, uncovered the metallic parts of the washing
machine and I searched for the current leak.
I measured a leakage of 0,450 Megaoghn between on leg of the resistance and the earth point.
I used a standard multimeter.
The funny thing is that mow the washing machine does not trip the RCD even if I take 0,450 Megaohm between one leg and Earth.

The resistance is capable of hotting the water without tripping the RCD.
When you say you have 0.450 Mohm leakage, not exactly sure what you mean, alo what type of Multi Function Tester are you using?

I think he's using a standard multimeter.

OP, you may be seeing confusing measurements on your multimeter due to filter components between live/neutral and earth.

A proper insulation resistance test (at 240V initially) may be worth doing.

0.45MΩ will not trip an RCD. 230/450000=0.5mA of leakage worst case if that resistance is all from the line voltage side. If it's distributed between line and neutral the current will be lower. But a simple measurement of resistance probably won't find the fault anyway.

A washing machine has loads that are switched on and off during the cycle, bits heating up and cooling down, moving and then stopping again. So it's quite likely that the fault isn't present all the time. E.g. a damaged motor wiring loom might only short out when spinning an unbalanced load, element might only leak when wet, etc.

More investigation needed.

I'd still take note of the earlier replies.
A photo of where you have the test clips applied may be useful though.

Reply to leaking resistance _0,450 Megaohm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net