Discuss Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, it is a good idea in principle. It would be up to the instructor to ascertain whether the learner was capable.
However, in rural areas, it can take a while to find a duel carriageway, never mind a motorway, so theres an hours lesson gone just driving to it.
My daughter just passed her test, and I wouldn't say she is capable yet. I encourage her to take a short drive every day to build confidence in her own car before driving further afield

I welcome it, learners should be able to have experience of this type of driving, which is very different to all other driving situations.

As littlespark says though, could be a pain getting to a motorway. I live in a fair sized city and it's still half an hour from city centre to the nearest motorway.

i think it's a good idea, but would like to see a minimum requirement of XX no. of lessons first with the instructor being able to assess that the learner was ready for it.

Does seem carazy (!) that we were not allowing supervised learner drivers onto a road system (motorways), that is statistically safer than other road systems. Then allowing them onto them, unsupervised after passing a test that did not include driving on them, if you get what I mean :)

Mind you, I hope they are only allowed to do so when suitably trained? And I guess if your not near one, its not going to happen. Perhaps those students should be required to have some additional instruction after passing their test.

as long as that additional training is not provided by jeremy clarkson....

Learning to drive is like learning to be an electrician. Learn the basics, and get the qualification, then spend the next few years gaining experience and building up to more complicated things like the M25
I learned in the same rural town my daughter has, but in my day, there was no roundabouts to deal with, or traffic lights to contend with.
But then, I didn't do a separate theory test, and I can pull a trailer without extra tuition.

Learning to drive is like learning to be an electrician. Learn the basics, and get the qualification, then spend the next few years gaining experience and building up to more complicated things like the M25
I learned in the same rural town my daughter has, but in my day, there was no roundabouts to deal with, or traffic lights to contend with.
But then, I didn't do a separate theory test, and I can pull a trailer without extra tuition.
no traffic lights. no roundabouts, just piles of horse ---- to negotiate.

As soon as my son passed his test I took him on a trip up the M3 and round onto the M25 ............... to say he was surprised by the speed of the cars and the downright terrible driving of many of the cars was an understatement ..................

I've been a passenger with him on motorways since and he's still not 100% certain of the rules as so many muppets under take and speed excessively .........

I’d like to think that one of the lessons they get is to stay in the slow lane and use the other lanes to overtake only - it boils my blood when people stick in the centre lane all the way. That just means that they are not confident to be on the road at all and if they are not confident then stay in the slow lane!
Phew Rant over!

I’d like to think that one of the lessons they get is to stay in the slow lane and use the other lanes to overtake only - it boils my blood when people stick in the centre lane all the way. That just means that they are not confident to be on the road at all and if they are not confident then stay in the slow lane!
Phew Rant over!

Its even worse when you are in the inside lane and some pillock is the only car passing and they are in lane 3 or 4..................

I dislike them less - it’s the middle laners - they cause as much trouble as a slow lorry overtaking a slightly slower lorry! Aaaargh!
I really thought the rant was over . . .

nobody should be allowed on multi lane highways apart from me, same with b roads

people that have right of way and sit and roundabouts when nothing is to their right

coppercab.jpg

Reply to Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net