Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

2. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

15 learner drivers where involved in accidents today on various motorways* no fatalities,

*I may have made that one up........

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Yes, it is a good idea in principle. It would be up to the instructor to ascertain whether the learner was capable.
    However, in rural areas, it can take a while to find a duel carriageway, never mind a motorway, so theres an hours lesson gone just driving to it.
    My daughter just passed her test, and I wouldn't say she is capable yet. I encourage her to take a short drive every day to build confidence in her own car before driving further afield

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Yep @littlespark@littlespark , they were talking about it on the radio. Some lass from Scotland said that the nearest motorway to her is about 110 miles away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I welcome it, learners should be able to have experience of this type of driving, which is very different to all other driving situations.

As littlespark says though, could be a pain getting to a motorway. I live in a fair sized city and it's still half an hour from city centre to the nearest motorway.

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i think it's a good idea, but would like to see a minimum requirement of XX no. of lessons first with the instructor being able to assess that the learner was ready for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Does seem carazy (!) that we were not allowing supervised learner drivers onto a road system (motorways), that is statistically safer than other road systems. Then allowing them onto them, unsupervised after passing a test that did not include driving on them, if you get what I mean :)

Mind you, I hope they are only allowed to do so when suitably trained? And I guess if your not near one, its not going to happen. Perhaps those students should be required to have some additional instruction after passing their test.

• Like Like x 1
  8. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    as long as that additional training is not provided by jeremy clarkson....

9. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Or Stevie Wonder

10. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

At least the learners would be supervised and in dual control cars. Some of the drivers that have passed shouldn't be on the roads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. littlespark

Learning to drive is like learning to be an electrician. Learn the basics, and get the qualification, then spend the next few years gaining experience and building up to more complicated things like the M25
    I learned in the same rural town my daughter has, but in my day, there was no roundabouts to deal with, or traffic lights to contend with.
    But then, I didn't do a separate theory test, and I can pull a trailer without extra tuition.

• Like Like x 3
  12. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    no traffic lights. no roundabouts, just piles of horse **** to negotiate.

13. littlespark

When were you up my way, Tel?

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

As soon as my son passed his test I took him on a trip up the M3 and round onto the M25 ............... to say he was surprised by the speed of the cars and the downright terrible driving of many of the cars was an understatement ..................

I've been a passenger with him on motorways since and he's still not 100% certain of the rules as so many muppets under take and speed excessively .........

15. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I’d like to think that one of the lessons they get is to stay in the slow lane and use the other lanes to overtake only - it boils my blood when people stick in the centre lane all the way. That just means that they are not confident to be on the road at all and if they are not confident then stay in the slow lane!
    Phew Rant over!

• Agree Agree x 5