Discuss Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Since the change is to 'allow' learners onto motorways and not to 'require' learners to experience motorways, presumably this will not apply in most cases.

Since the change is to 'allow' learners onto motorways and not to 'require' learners to experience motorways, presumably this will not apply in most cases.

I'm sure most will be up for doing a bit of driving on the motorway. But they do have the option of not doing it... I think.

Maybe not at first, but I reckon as it gets more normalised most driving instructors will incorporate it into the later stages of driver training.
Mine made sure I had experience on a local fast dual carriageway that later turns into a motorway. I had a good one though, I didn't just get taught to pass a test, I got a lot of experience of different situations and conditions deliberately incorporated into my training.

In a city here where the nearest motorway is a good hour or more's drive away. That said it seems like a sensible idea.

In a city here where the nearest motorway is a good hour or more's drive away. That said it seems like a sensible idea.

That's a brilliant point also, country people who have never experienced driving in a city.

I do it often now, well around the world so not much phases me anymore, coming from a fairly quiet town, I had quite a shock the first time I drove into London. This was in the 80's, driving now is even worse. The amount of information you're bombarded with an need to deal with is unreal.

That's a brilliant point also, country people who have never experienced driving in a city.

I do it often now, well around the world so not much phases me anymore, coming from a fairly quiet town, I had quite a shock the first time I drove into London. This was in the 80's, driving now is even worse. The amount of information you're bombarded with an need to deal with is unreal.

Arrgh you big pussey, dominate take the high ground. Nobody will came near your vehicle. :)

Maybe not at first, but I reckon as it gets more normalised most driving instructors will incorporate it into the later stages of driver training.
Mine made sure I had experience on a local fast dual carriageway that later turns into a motorway. I had a good one though, I didn't just get taught to pass a test, I got a lot of experience of different situations and conditions deliberately incorporated into my training.
That still sounds optional - members of this forum will know better than most that a certain kind of person will always try to fast track their way through life just picking up the basics in the shortest amount of time, and unless it's introduced into the driving test a lot of people won't bother with it.

I'm not suggesting it should be included in the driving test though - when they started including using a sat nav they did so at the expense of things like reversing around a corner, and as others have mentioned in certain parts of the country you can go your whole life without using a motorway, for example there are no motorways in Dorset, and I'm sure there are a lot of people in the more rural parts who have never been out of the village they were born in, never mind been out of the county.

If someone is conscientious enough to want formal training in motorway driving there is still the pass plus test.

learners on the motorway, whatever next. women drivers? oops, they already done it. hogging middle lane while texting and applying make-up.

I don't like this idea at all, putting a hesitant sometimes terrified learner on a motorway where lorries are hitting 60mph and requiring extensive stopping distances it is only a matter of time before we see a tragedy with multiple deaths.
I think any new drivers must pass the standard test and then clock up some road experience before venturing on the motorway, when they feel confident with there driving to do so then they contact there instructor to do a motorway awareness course which may not require a further test module but must be signed off by the instructor that he feels they are now competent.
This has added advantages for anyone who lives remotely that do not wish to use motorways that they simple don't need to take motorway lessons and will suit many situations.
The existing system has worked fine for years where if you don't like motorways you simply don't go on them and your not thrown on them at you least experienced point.. I hope I am wrong but this sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I don't like this idea at all, putting a hesitant sometimes terrified learner on a motorway where lorries are hitting 60mph and requiring extensive stopping distances it is only a matter of time before we see a tragedy with multiple deaths.
I think any new drivers must pass the standard test and then clock up some road experience before venturing on the motorway, when they feel confident with there driving to do so then they contact there instructor to do a motorway awareness course which may not require a further test module but must be signed off by the instructor that he feels they are now competent.
This has added advantages for anyone who lives remotely that do not wish to use motorways that they simple don't need to take motorway lessons and will suit many situations.
The existing system has worked fine for years where if you don't like motorways you simply don't go on them and your not thrown on them at you least experienced point.. I hope I am wrong but this sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

This system has been around for the past 10 yeas as I know of. Called pass plus. My friends kids got discount on the insurance premiums through completing it.

This system has been around for the past 10 yeas as I know of. Called pass plus. My friends kids got discount on the insurance premiums through completing it.
Pass Plus was around when I was learning to drive, 20 years ago.
Some insurance companies offer discounted premiums, others don't recognise it at all.

Only they have passed their test first as I understand it.
The new proposal is with an approved instructor too,also with dual controlled vehicle , but I am still not convinced it is a good idea either

In my humble opinion rural driving is far more dangerous than motorway driving, judging by the nutters that tear around Northumberland 's lanes on four wheels and two.
its the plonkers doddling along at 30 on b roads that cause disasters, come round a corner and theres a pensioner near enough stopped on the road

sometimes on B roads it's not safe to exceed 30mph. you go round a bend and suddenly there's a huge John Deere tractor with a trailer full of shyte filling the road from 1 side to the other., 20 ft. in front of you. try stopping in 20 ft. @ 5o mph.

its the plonkers doddling along at 30 on b roads that cause disasters, come round a corner and theres a pensioner near enough stopped on the road

Then you're in the wrong. What if it was a cow in the road, or a fallen tree? You are not driving to conditions. If you can't see round a corner far enough, so that someone stopped round the corner of it is going to cause you an issue you're driving too fast.

Reply to Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net