Discuss Leasehold Flat with Communal Electrics Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking to sell a leasehold flat that I've owned for a couple of years. The problem is what to do with all of the electrics?

Fuse Box: Ancient, uses bakelite fuses and it's in the communal hallway. I'd like to have this upgraded but am I right in thinking that an electrician would want to go through and check the wiring through-out the property? Also, as it's in the communal hall, would I need to contact the freehold owner of the building/maintenance company?

All of the sockets and pendant fittings have been upgraded in the last 2 years but the original wiring is still in, the old black and red wires with the uncovered earth wires, some of which have been wrapped around a screw or folded back on themselves???

Should I just prepare myself for the worst and a full re-wire?

Kitchen was refitted last year and had new sockets and insulating/impact proof trunking channelled in to the walls. I'd presume this would pass any inspection and wouldn't need to be ripped apart?

only as visual inspection/test can tell you what, if anything, needs doing.

Looking to sell a leasehold flat that I've owned for a couple of years. The problem is what to do with all of the electrics?

Fuse Box: Ancient, uses bakelite fuses and it's in the communal hallway. I'd like to have this upgraded but am I right in thinking that an electrician would want to go through and check the wiring through-out the property? Also, as it's in the communal hall, would I need to contact the freehold owner of the building/maintenance company?

All of the sockets and pendant fittings have been upgraded in the last 2 years but the original wiring is still in, the old black and red wires with the uncovered earth wires, some of which have been wrapped around a screw or folded back on themselves???

Kitchen was refitted last year and had new sockets and insulating/impact proof trunking channelled in to the walls. I'd presume this would pass any inspection and wouldn't need to be ripped apart?
Have you considered an EICR Electrical Installation Condition Report?
Done by a competent Electrician should give you an indication of any faults etc in the installation, don't use Bert down the Pub, go to a reliable company, do some research, it could save you some heartache and money, good luck.

Unless you as leaseholders have enfranchised and taken on the freehold it still resides with the landlord. If you look at your lease it will specify who is responsible for what. It is usually the case the landlord is responsible for the common parts for which he uses the service charges to upkeep. I do not know how many leaseholders are in the property, but usually a full rewire will require extra expenditure, Without a sinking fund that would require the co-operation of fellow leaseholders (not usually forthcoming) What happened during enquiries when you bought the lease? The same will probably happen when you sell. It it aint broke, don't fix it. Ask the management co. if they have up to date certificates for the electrics or examine your own documentation and see if you have any such mention during enquiries recorded re electrics.

i know a top sparks in south yorkshire would be happy to carry out an independent, unbiassed, fair priced, EICR for you. as vorti said, an EICR is your first step.

You could consider having an EICR done to see what it highlights ............... then take matters from there ............... how old is the property?

Fuse Box: Ancient, uses bakelite fuses and it's in the communal hallway. I'd like to have this upgraded but am I right in thinking that an electrician would want to go through and check the wiring through-out the property?
MOST LIKELY !
Also, as it's in the communal hall, would I need to contact the freehold owner of the building/maintenance company?

GOOD CHANCE YES !

DOESN'T MATTER WHAT COLOR ARE WIRES, IF STILL IN GOOD CONDITION THEN IS OK !

DEPENDS WHAT AN ELECTRICIAN FINDS !

IF UP TO CODE ? THEN IS OK !

:handok:

Was the condition of the wiring installation raised as an issue when you aquired the Flat 2 years ago?

Even though the Fuse box is in the Common area, it's still your responsibility.
Apart from the supply cable from the meter, which may be elsewhere, nothing beyond that is yours
However you'll need the permission of the Freehold owner / Landlord /Managing Agent to carry out any work in the Common area as they may have requirements for any replacement Consumer unit eg. Not fitted in the Common area or fitted in Fireproof containment.

Reply to Leasehold Flat with Communal Electrics Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net