Discuss Leave existing ceiling rose within new metal light fitting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've had the mis-fortune to have to have fitted some of those luminaires or similar. I left the ceiling rose in place, cap on and cap off (cap off is much easier), using some flex to connect between ceiling rose & luminaire.

Some have convenient holes in the luminaire fixing bar, to locate underneath the ceiling rose, to make use of the suitable fixing into the above joist etc. If they haven't, offer it up & make some. It will also need fixing near the ends also.
Yeah I’ve been up in the loft and I can definitely get a good fixing into the timber alongside the rose.

The lever ones are one conductor per hole.
Look at the 224 type

Yeah I’d seen these ones too. What I couldn’t find online is video or instructions showing multiple cables inserted. For examples the 3 live wires that form the loop....how do they insert into a 224? I’ve seen them put into a three lever 222 (one cable in each hole) but on the 224 there is only one hole on the solid core push side. I hope I’m making sense here and not sounding too daft.

you'd use the 3 port wago 221's for the 3 perm L's, a 5port 221 gor the earths, a 3 port for N's and a 2 port for switch L. the 221's are slimmer than the 222's.and will accept solid cable or flex. strip at 12mm , ensure the ends of the cables are dead straight, fit and tug test. and only 1 conductor per hole.

you'd use the 3 port wago 221's for the 3 perm L's, a 5port 221 gor the earths, a 3 port for N's and a 2 port for switch L. the 221's are slimmer than the 222's.and will accept solid cable or flex. strip at 12mm , ensure the ends of the cables are dead straight, fit and tug test. and only 1 conductor per hole.
Thanks for that. The only thing is you can only seem to but these in bulk and not individually. I suppose it’s all hypothetical if I can use the existing rose but it’s all good information to have. Thanks

Ha!! That’s half the price of the light!!!

It's also cheaper than getting me to put the light up.
I would have provided the wagos in with the price though along with any additional cable needed and testing the earth connection is viable for the metal fitting you are putting up. And it would have been up by now ;)

Thanks to everyone for their replies. You’ve all been very helpful. It’s genuinely nice to find a forum where professionals are so keen to help your average bloke on the street

Depends on the day. We can be quite offensive sometimes.

All went well today and just got to hang about a million little glass pieces off it. I had a slight crisis of confidence when I finally screwed the fitting onto the bracket. The single wires had to be slightly longer than I would have liked just as they were dead fiddly. I remember someone saying they shouldn’t be pressing against the metal fitting. I wouldn’t have said they were pressing on it but more like resting on it. So I stripped some outer sheath of another part of flex and pushed the wires into a short section of outer sleeve where they rest on the metal. I then wrapped all this section in electrical tape. I was just a bit paranoid that the wires may overheat. Does this sound OK?

Leave existing ceiling rose within new metal light fitting?? D0404AB0-3B5E-46A6-8A73-8B7BD1BB2142 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi. Could someone just please clarify this for me. Do the single wires going from the fitting to the rose need insulating with tape or a section of it still with the outer sheath on as I can’t avoid them touching the inside of the metal fitting?? To be honest the wires forming the loop between the 3 LED bulbs touch the metal....am I being paranoid or just safety conscious??

it's no problem.the single insulation suffices. additional sheathing would be for mechanical protection, but that;s already provided by the metal enclosure of the fitting.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say I can't see a problem with it. Feel free to hit the dumb button (not you Murdoch if you're reading this when you're back!)

I'm surprised there is room for it though.
If the existing rose has its cover screwed back on and the the new fitting is fed with flexible cable from the rose then it is perfectly acceptable.

Reply to Leave existing ceiling rose within new metal light fitting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock