Discuss LED bathroom mirror installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Finchy

-
Reaction score
Hello

I’m currently helping my son and his other half redecorate their new home and they have asked me to fit a LED mirror into their bathroom. Observing good practices for electrical safety in wet room areas I intend to run a 1.5mm T&E cable from the lighting circuit above, cut out a channel and bury the cable into the conctreted wall to this mirrors location.

I have only two queries on this, firstly do I need to place the cable into some kind of protective conduit or will a covering layer of concrete suffice?

And secondly, they would like the mirror to be independently powered rather than having to switch on the room lighting. My only query here is does it need its own isolator in line from the light circuit to the mirror ?

Thanks

They normally have there own motion sensor switch on them, so the feed needs to come from the permanent line, this would also qualify as notifiable works under part p as it’s an alteration in a speacial location

capping or oval tube over the cable would be a good idea. 1. to protect from any harmfull effects from concrete, and 2. to facilitate replacement if it ever needs. most of the mirrors have inbuilt switches, so if so, then a permanent feed from lighting circuit is the solution. RCD protection is essential.

They normally have there own motion sensor switch on them,sorry bake the feed from the switch side,this would also qualify as notifiable works under part p as it’s an alteration in a speacial location
are you sure you bake it, and not fry it? :D:D:D.

They normally have there own motion sensor switch on them, so the feed needs to come from the permanent line, this would also qualify as notifiable works under part p as it’s an alteration in a special location

Not in Aberdeen / bonny Scotland

Hello

I’m currently helping my son and his other half redecorate their new home and they have asked me to fit a LED mirror into their bathroom. Observing good practices for electrical safety in wet room areas I intend to run a 1.5mm T&E cable from the lighting circuit above, cut out a channel and bury the cable into the conctreted wall to this mirrors location.

I have only two queries on this, firstly do I need to place the cable into some kind of protective conduit or will a covering layer of concrete suffice?

And secondly, they would like the mirror to be independently powered rather than having to switch on the room lighting. My only query here is does it need its own isolator in line from the light circuit to the mirror ?

Thanks
Without eyes on the whole job and how the bathroom light is wired it's very difficult to say how difficult the job is Finchy, one thing is sure your bathroom electrics will need to be RCD protected, if it isn't already.

Apologies op, my comment was meant more tounge in check in reference to your location....as Murdoch and Pete have said you will need rcd protection on the circuit you plan to extend

Hello again, thank you all for your speedy replies.

The house has now been fitted with the current compliance consumer unit so do I still need to run it through it's own independent RCD unit ?

Just making sure all is legit ...

Thanks

No you don't need or want another RCD in line. Nor do you need 1.5mm cable. 1.0mm is adequate for lighting circuits.

I would add that I personally would have a means of isolation to the mirror for maintenance purposes but is not essential.

They normally have there own motion sensor switch on them, so the feed needs to come from the permanent line, this would also qualify as notifiable works under part p as it’s an alteration in a speacial location
Only if the wiring is within the zones.

Reply to LED bathroom mirror installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net