Discuss LED Bulb Prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lewiiss

Hi all,

I've been looking at LED bulb prices for gu10's and it seems the best place to buy them at the moment is online my wholesaler can't even get close on some of the prices on certain bulbs.

Have you lot noticed the same or do I just get bad prices?

There are LED lamps, and LED lamps, they are not all the same quality, same reliability or the same light output.
If you can find the same product online better than your wholesaler can supply them, something, somewhere is very wrong...

i just installed 27 led fleabay gu10s in a large kitchen , light levels were good and customer was happy.

i had problem with three of them and they sent new straight away with out having to send the old ones back first 3.50 each! + del

The two makes I was looking at are aurora (customer already has in kitchen) and megaman both dimmable. Even spoke to the wholesaler said that the price online is about what they buy at.

i have bought quite a few from china via ebay. . no problems with any, and good light.

I would not expect the wholesalers to be cheaper then online as they want a profit too,i think its better in the longtern to try to get hold of the big names like sylvania etc,the wholesalers make huge profits for example digital clamp meter(a well known brand beginning with F)£80 here,i ordered via fleabay identical unit £20,so do i want to pay the extra £60 for the privalege of there name stamped on it.....

Its the age old saying again, isn't it...

....If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

There is absolute masses of c r a p quality lamp's out there these days, as with anything really.

I'd go with the wholesaler to be fair, if the lamps pop regular then you can always take them back and get them replaced....internet slightly different, not many sites, especially ebay will give you a new one without at least a delivery charge.

i have bought quite a few from china via ebay. . no problems with any, and good light.

I'd say the vast majority of LED lamps are manufactured in China, even a lot of the top branded lamps. Some top names even have factories over here, and still outsource to other Chinese companies. And those same outsource companies will sell on to other companies the same lamp but with company logo's to match!! The only difference, by the time it gets to the retail trade is the price, and that can be a quite substantial difference.

Exactly the same conditions apply to MCB's/RCBO's and the like, many of which are made over here. And have nothing what-so-ever to do with the fake industry either!!

I bought some of fleabay 6w SMD in cool white very bright a lot brighter than 50w halogen and cooler
and some 4watt 3 LED so far so good and a lot cheaper than wholesaler and a lot of online sellers
they have CE mark and ROHS
was bought for some recently fitted ROBUS chrome GU10 downlights with bezel rings that had replaced some dodgy downlights that had had a major fault on since installation and were brass and other half of kitchen chrome
the only problem i had is the SMD are slightly larger than halogens due to the ali cooling fins or whatever they are lol so the old spring retaining clips were struggling to hold them in on 4 other downlights in the seperate half of a kitchen with original chrome downlights so now these fittings need replacement to accept the new LEDs but they are deffo a lot brighter
so I need a few more robus lol

I was wary of the China connection to as my mrs was stung with ugg boots last christmas 3 pairs and weeks of waiting for them to arrive in a single small crushed box with the 3 pairs crammed in £300 learned to buy from recommended seller but as the LEDs were only £30 for 10SMD 6 watt and 4 x 3 LED 4 watt wouldnt have been to much of a costly exercise to find out
when the wholesaler i visited fist qouted £7 each for some sylvannia and when iwent back in again another sales rep said £15 so I about turned and used my feet and then my fingers to tyope and but form ebay lol
£30 to £150 is a big difference even if they need rplacing more often than a more reputable name i can replace them 5 x before i reach £150 so no brainer

I bought some of fleabay 6w SMD in cool white very bright a lot brighter than 50w halogen and cooler
and some 4watt 3 LED so far so good and a lot cheaper than wholesaler and a lot of online sellers
they have CE mark and ROHS
was bought for some recently fitted ROBUS chrome GU10 downlights with bezel rings that had replaced some dodgy downlights that had had a major fault on since installation and were brass and other half of kitchen chrome
the only problem i had is the SMD are slightly larger than halogens due to the ali cooling fins or whatever they are lol so the old spring retaining clips were struggling to hold them in on 4 other downlights in the seperate half of a kitchen with original chrome downlights so now these fittings need replacement to accept the new LEDs but they are deffo a lot brighter
so I need a few more robus lol

I was wary of the China connection to as my mrs was stung with ugg boots last christmas 3 pairs and weeks of waiting for them to arrive in a single small crushed box with the 3 pairs crammed in £300 learned to buy from recommended seller but as the LEDs were only £30 for 10SMD 6 watt and 4 x 3 LED 4 watt wouldnt have been to much of a costly exercise to find out
when the wholesaler i visited fist qouted £7 each for some sylvannia and when iwent back in again another sales rep said £15 so I about turned and used my feet and then my fingers to tyope and but form ebay lol
£30 to £150 is a big difference even if they need rplacing more often than a more reputable name i can replace them 5 x before i reach £150 so no brainer

Doesn't look good if you have to keep going back to the customers house though, changing the LEDs that dont last as long as the halogens...

I installed cheap once but wont do it again...was constantly going back...

as bruce lee said. at 1/4 of the price, it's a no brainer. and engineer has pointed out, the well known brand names are probably made in the same factory in china. i have had 6 chinese smd 4watt on trial in my kitchen for 6 weeks, fantastic light output, on several hours a day, many switchings, no failures. all for £2.70 per lamp. why should the middlemen make around £8 a lamp profit when that £8 is better in my beer fund|?

My experience with LEDs so far: GE lamps - excellent output, no issues at all. Nice aluminium casting, nicely made. Cheap ebay non-branded lamps - ligh toutput poor and 1 went with an almighty bang after being on for less than an hour. Stripped it apart to have a good look and it's poorly made and has a very roughly made casting. I'll see how long before th eothers explode! Daz

I know what your saying mate

If they dont outlast the halogens i wouldnt buy them again but at least i will know and if they do then everyones a winner especially the customer as they will save on energy costs and on the price of the LEDS compared to whoeslaers or other online selllers of more well known brands It was my brothers and we agreed to try them what have we lost if they dont last he is already saving on electricity costs and the price of these LEDs wasnt much Havnt been back yet and the halogens didnt last long at all as you know they blow falrly regular especially as the idiot who orginally connected them had just shoved the pendent base under floorboards and used a bit of 1.5 flex to a connector block and then used 2.5mm looped to each down light and the LED i have fitted so far are saving on electricity and guaranteed they will easily outlast the halogens
the pendent base was causing a very low IR between L-N and when i finally located it after removing bathroom wood flooring and landing carpet the neutral of the flex had heat damge and so did the terminals betweeen L-N on the base of the pendent this was whoevers idea of a enclosure and joint lol

My brother likes them that much he has asked me to purchase more

I have replaced 3 in the soffit over garage door so halogens 150w and the new are total 12w 3 x 4w LED i have fitted have replaced them
5 in older half of the kitchen 4 more when i change the fittings in the newer half of kitchen
4 in lounge
4 in bedroom

there is no camparison with the halogens as these are visibly brighter and using a lot less energy If my brother is happy with them then I am too lol

Reply to LED Bulb Prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net