Discuss LED Ceiling Fixture Replacement Help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sai N

-
Reaction score
Hello, all,

I am seeking advice to fit a new fixture I brought just recently. Currently active is a simple rose with bulb. I’m a novice when it comes to electrics, can change a few plug sockets and sometimes a light, but this baffles me.

The junction box with the new light comes with the clip system rather than typical screws. I am aware I need to somehow shove three wires into one terminal (which hole I don’t know yet), but will the clip even hold? I’m also curious regarding the neutral wire with a red sleeve. I read this is a switch wire and cannot be placed with the other black ones?

I’m including photos of the current fitting’s wiring and the new one’s box. Can you advice me on what to do? I would have asked a qualified electrician to fit it but all I got in contact with said they’d charg over £60 (more than the light cost!) and are too busy for the next month.

1929ACB0-3F8A-4D37-96A2-F32A5899EA5F.jpeg 103BF75B-15EE-4AB4-8BA1-E0F5CBB40C96.jpeg

Please do not "shove" 3 cables into a connector. They are designed for single cables

Please do not "shove" 3 cables into a connector. They are designed for single cables

Wrong use of word, I suppose, but how am I going to fit them to my new light?

I’m aware that the blue and brown wires are null as they’re a part of the fitting, and the three red are loop. Am I right in thinking loop wires shouldn’t be connected to the new terminal but rather to their own one? I have a few of those screw-type ends where you can twist wires together. Can I connect the two black to the neutral terminal, the black/red to live, earth to earth, and then twist the loop wires together and insulate them?

@Murdoch .. I've not seen this lever type connector in lights before.. Are they like the Wago lever connectors?

OP: You will be better off using something like this for connecting up the wires..

OP: You will be better off using something like this for connecting up the wires..

I disagree. If the cables are short, then cutting one of these connectors off could cause big problems in the future ..

I disagree. If the cables are short, then cutting one of these connectors off could cause big problems in the future ..

I have a few of those screw-type ends where you can twist wires together.

Are you saying that connectors the OP suggests above would be better than the Wago connectors then?

I just don't like using the one time push connectors ..... Lever types are far better imho

I know I am a bit old fashioned lol, but the old fasioned porcelain connectors would do the job just fine. :p

@Murdoch .. I've not seen this lever type connector in lights before.. Are they like the Wago lever connectors?

Spoon I reckon the connectors show on the new fitting are basically "Wagos" under a different guise so the OP could use these to connect the S/L and Ns and would do well to take your advice and use a Wago to link the L in, out and switch feeds, Personally I don't like advising DIYers with electrics, the problem with DIYers is that the mentality usually comes across as "it's only a couple of wires, what could go wrong" well I think we all know the answer to that one.

Spoon I reckon the connectors show on the new fitting are basically "Wagos" under a different guise so the OP could use these to connect the S/L and Ns and would do well to take your advice and use a Wago to link the L in, out and switch feeds, Personally I don't like advising DIYers with electrics, the problem with DIYers is that the mentality usually comes across as "it's only a couple of wires, what could go wrong" well I think we all know the answer to that one.

It sounds like the OP is going to do this himself.. I wasn't quite sure what he meant by the type of connector he was intending to use. That's why I posted up the Wago ones as an alternative.
It's hard to advice all DIYers as we don't know how well they are at doing electrics...

It sounds like the OP is going to do this himself.. I wasn't quite sure what he meant by the type of connector he was intending to use. That's why I posted up the Wago ones as an alternative.
It's hard to advice all DIYers as we don't know how well they are at doing electrics...
Judging by some of the disasters I have seen, not a lot are any good, let alone competent.

Those quick connectors are better than block con, the lever allows you to remove conductors by pushing the lever in, it also eases connections.

I agree, those things are awful. I don’t see the point, I tend to use lever wagos, however I like them so much that I hate leaving them in lights. Which is definitely weird, ha.

Hello, all,

I am seeking advice to fit a new fixture I brought just recently. Currently active is a simple rose with bulb. I’m a novice when it comes to electrics, can change a few plug sockets and sometimes a light, but this baffles me.

The junction box with the new light comes with the clip system rather than typical screws. I am aware I need to somehow shove three wires into one terminal (which hole I don’t know yet), but will the clip even hold? I’m also curious regarding the neutral wire with a red sleeve. I read this is a switch wire and cannot be placed with the other black ones?

I’m including photos of the current fitting’s wiring and the new one’s box. Can you advice me on what to do? I would have asked a qualified electrician to fit it but all I got in contact with said they’d charg over £60 (more than the light cost!) and are too busy for the next month.

View attachment 41233 View attachment 41234
the 3 reds need to be terminated in a connector block with no other connection. the black with red sleeve goes to light L, the 2 blacks to light N, and of course the 3 earth wires need to go into a connector block and with a tail to the light earth . you can use choc block connectors or wagos.

You don't need to cut them off. If you hold the wire tightly and keep a pulling tension on it while you rotate the connector back and forth, you can remove the wires from these connectors in a few seconds (and all the other Wago type push ones.) Wago themselves gave me that tip and it works.

I know I am a bit old fashioned lol, but the old fasioned porcelain connectors would do the job just fine. :p
Pair of pliers twist the cables together some mismatched coloured tape, lovely jubly.......

Reply to LED Ceiling Fixture Replacement Help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net