Discuss LED Changeover in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Hi All,
Have got a customer with 16 x MR!6 Halogens in a room at the moment

They want these lamps changed to the MR16 LED lamps you get these days.

Can i just replace the lamps or do I need to install an LED driver for the lamps?

and if you fit less than 5 watt LEDs, he'll be cooking by candle light.

You'll be looking around £10+vat and upwards for anything decent.

Just fitted a load of Aurora 6watts @ £11 each not bad, but still dosent give as good a light as a MR16.

They do last 4 years though !

and no driver required....

Last edited:
You sure guys because its different than what ive been told. Ive read if you keep the same transformer say 60w and use it for a 5w led lamp it will burn out the led. Was told you should always keep the load as close to the transformer output as possible.Ive just swapped 4 mr16 50w and removed the transformers for 4 3w leds and had to use a 12w driver to power the 4.

you do get very bright 9 and 10 watt LED GU10 lamps(with Luxeon Batwing LED's inside on heatsinks) about 30 pounds each but worth it, they need a new transformer for each room/set but it is worth it, the LED lamps with an inbuilt transformer are not up to much and are also fairly liable to failure, as well as not being very bright and normally containing standard 5mm 1 watt LED's in either 3s or 4s ...

Reply to LED Changeover in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years! I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can...
Replies
Views
Hi. I’ve got two pendant lights that currently run halogen lamps. One of the converters is broken so I’m planning to change both for LED lamps...
Replies
Views
This is the second set which won't work to replace the current spots here in my kitchen. All they do is flash once quickly. I'm replacing...
Replies
Views
Good Morning, I've used this forum for advice many times but this is my first time posting so I hope that this community can help! We're...
Replies
Views
I purchased a house that has a really cool 12v halogen setup where two wires are suspended across the ceiling in two different locations, and each...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock