Discuss LED control with two switches/dimmers in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to install LED downlights controlled from two different dimmers/switches. So the plan is to have one of the following options
  1. have first switch as 2-way 400W dimmer switch like this, and second as 2-way smart on/off switch like this
  2. have both switches as 2-way 400W dimmer switches like this
Can you please suggest if both of these options are possible with mentioned switches? I would prefer option 1.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of variables to take into account here.

1. Are your proposed downlights dimmable? You can check this.

2. Does your dimmer switch need a neutral to work. There may not be one at the switch positions. (Your option 2 switches require neutrals)

3. Do you have enough space behind the switches to fit a dimmer module?. Most boxes are only 25mm deep. Dimmer recommend 35mm. Some can be only 12mm

4.Don’t mix and match between different switches. They may not be the same in regards to connecting.

Example: LightwaveRF supply a dimming 2 way switch... but one is a master, the other is slave. You can use the existing 3 core between switch positions, but one terminal is only a small signal voltage. Get it wrong, like a friend of mine did, and you can fry the switches. He bought a master only and left a regular switch at the other end.

varilight do dimmers. master and slave. good for smooth control of LEDs.

Thanks for your expert comments.

>>2. Does your dimmer switch need a neutral to work. There may not be one at the switch positions. (Your option 2 switches require neutrals)
I do have neutral wires for the new switches (its a new build). So can I have these two of these (2-way 400W dimmer) controlling Led downlights from both switches? I dont think these comes as master/slave, so I dont have to worry about these?

400 watt dimmersare meant for the likes of tungsten and halogen lamps. for LEDs you need to consider the min. load and also if the dimmers are compatible with LEDs. e.g. if the LED load is 40watts, and your dimmer has a min load of 60watts, it won't work correctly.

Good tip telectrix, but I am going with 7x 8w LED downlights i.e. 7x8=56W and this 400W dimmer is compatible with LED.

The only thing I am worried about is this (see product here) 400W dimmer description says "Maximum LED Load: 40 Watts, Compatible with Leading Edge LED lamps" and I am planning to put 56W (7x8W LED). I have such load in past on one-way dimmer that works fine though.

I wouldn’t go for those Chinese imports, appears that they have no BS certification..
Just CE which is an absolute load of old baloney

I wouldn’t go for those Chinese imports, appears that they have no BS certification..
Just CE which is an absolute load of old baloney
it's not a chinese impoert, the clue is in the name British General

so whats the consensus?
  1. Are we good with putting 7x 8w LED downlights (i.e. 7x8=56W) on two 2-way dimmer switch (see product here ) controlling the lights from any of the two dimmer switch?
  2. I would have loved to keep one 2-way switch as dimmer and other as a smart switch (controlling LED down lights from either) but I am not sure if any vendor does this combination of switches. Any clue?
If option 2 is not possible, simple and cost effective way is to go give option 1 for me.

Any comments on above please?
Thanks for the feedback so far. It has been very helpful.

Reply to LED control with two switches/dimmers in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock