Discuss LED dimming problem?? Best solution please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scott01

Does anyone know the best solution on how to dim 4 x 7w dimmable downlights? Ive been looking at low load dimmers but they look pretty rubbish amongst the flat plate ive installed in the rest of the house. I'm hearing things about load resistors and would like some info on these if anyone has any?

Thanks

What voltage are the LED lamps? I'm guessing a 'load resistor' would just drop the voltage which might play havoc with the LED driver. Can you give a link to the make and model of the lamps you're dealing with?

A high power load resistor is often required when dimming non-resistive loads, such as directly dimmable mains or dimmable transformer driven LED lamps, this provides a minimum load reducing dimming instability and flicker associated with certain dimmer types by ensuring the output driver transistors fully saturate.
Fit your dimmer(s) and lamps, if you find you have an instability/flicker problem at low dimmed outputs, then a high power load resistor can be added to the final circuit retrospectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
What voltage are the LED lamps? I'm guessing a 'load resistor' would just drop the voltage which might play havoc with the LED driver. Can you give a link to the make and model of the lamps you're dealing with?

Hi there. I'm using JCC LED7 dimmable downlights which have fixed lamps. Thanks for your time

Hi there. Would I be able to pick up high power load resistors from a wholesaler? How much are they?

I spoke directly to JCC and they reccomended a standard low wattage MK dimmer available in flat plate.

I then spoke to MK technical and they said their dimmers are not suitable.

JCC were quite insistant that the MK dimmer is excellent with their product, I will try to find the part number.

Copied this from my quote......

Morning Paul,

1. I have spoken to JCC technical who state that the best dimmer on the market for their product is the MK dimmer!

THEREFORE, I spoke to MK who said their dimmers were not suitable for dimming LEDs!!!!!!!

The edge part number is K14521, worst case scenario is we are unable to dim the lights, MK say that the technology is so new they have not tested their product on this product.

JCC tell me that they work well??

Last edited:
The only experience I've had with dimming LED lights is in a vehicle environment and I had to use a PWM dimmer. Simple rheostatic dimmers won't work as the LED brightness is a function of average current, not voltage. A lag/lead dimmer may do the job but I've not used one of those for anything other than AC motor speed control.

In a domestic environment, a high quality thyristor dimmer will do the job as it's the closest thing to PWM without requiring a DC supply.

I have played with the JCC demo, with the MK dimmer, part No as above.

Not yet done it, however on Friday we are installing the flat plate as above with 6 JCC dimmable & LED fittings, will keep you posted.

I tried Lutron dimmable 3-way switches and was only able to get 72V to the LED 6" downlight fixtures, I then tried there single pole dimmer and was able to turn on the lights but was only getting 92V to the fixture. I return them to the wholesale and am back at square one with standard 3-way and single pole switches. I hope someone solves this problem soon.

The Varilight V-pro range is very stable with most popular dimmable LED's. Also the Richmond (Now Zano) ZGRID range are very good and give you the option to use them in a wide range of grid plates and finishes. JCC have recomended these Zano dimmers to us recently for use with the LED7 range.

I believe both of these companies can offer load resistors if you have any issues (also Danlers).

JCC should be able to confirm exactly which MK dimmer they are recommending as MK have brought out new LED dimmers that have been developed in partnership with Philips MasterLED:
Search Results : Electrical Supplies, Buy Brand Name Electrical Installation Products Online

My advice would be to get a firm recommendation from JCC technical and take the guy's FULL name. That way they will honour your returns should there be any problems.

Also remember to apply for the LED7 free extended 5 year warranty http://www.fastlec-pdf.com/jcc/JCC_5_Year_Extended_Warranty.pdf

hope that helps

used varilight traling edge dimmers on last job. they work ok , you can dim to approximately 30-40% of full brightness. havent got a light meter just used my eyes.

Yep...

Dimming leds is now not a problem, have installed several now.

Both JCC LED7 and the Aurora equivilent.

I have used both the Varilight LED dimmer and the MK low wattage dimmer and an MK grid dimmer.

All work well.

Try Aurora dimmers that are specifically for led lamps,they have an adjuster on the side so the led lamps can be dimmed to just a faint glow without shutting off
I have successfully used these on up to 8 x philips 4w leds.
dont know how many 6w they will do

I've used the Varilight LEDlite dimmers in my own home,and they will dim to approx. 30-40% as 'amlu' stated. http://www.varilight.co.uk/products/vpro.html(TLC seem to be the only supplier). You'll see on their web site some confusion about using the V-Dim with low wattage LED lamps, but here is a response I received from their technical support 'The LEDlite dimmerhas been specifically created to operate with the LEDlite range of products only, whereas the other VPro range need to cope with many types of LED and manufacturers.This requires the Trailing Edge technology. In your situation the LEDlite dimmer such as theLQ1W will be suitable’. (I used LEDlitelamps). No one seems to sell the Vpro range. Perhaps if you asked Varilight for a supplier.
I also contacted another company who sent me details on using ‘Resistive loads’ to enable you to use standard wattage dimmers, but this seemed a bit too complicated resolution, to dim a few lights. If you PM me, I’ll try and forward their pamphlets.

Reply to LED dimming problem?? Best solution please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock