Discuss LED Downlight Driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m Wayne, this is my first post so i hope someone can help me with my problem, before my head explodes.
Ive recently bought some cheap and cheerful LED downlight and the drivers last a couple of weeks then burn out. I’m wanting to do away with the individual drivers and use 1 driver to power all the downlights with a decent reliable driver. This is where i need the help, i have no idea what driver i need and the helpful people of TLC electrical had no idea either. Ive added a picture of the individual drivers that are supplied with the LED lights which are of the 3W variaty. I have a total of 12 led lights in my hallway, 15 lights in my kitchen and 20 lights in my lounge. So i need 3 drivers to power each section of the house, please please please help!

image.jpg

Cheap but not so cheerful. That looks identical to a garbage set of drivers I had a full batch failure on. There were similar issues with the light units too. You'd be best off investing in some decent complete light units.

Hi there, no the drivers are not in contact with insulation. The drivers are popping when the lights are being turned on or turned off. When there on there ok. I just want to bin the drivers and get one driver per room but I don’t know how to work out the driver spec I need

Even if i was going to get the drivers replaced, i would still rather have 1 driver to power all as I’m fed up with replacing a driver every other day

Trust me, if the drivers are failing like this the light units won't be far behind and the new driver setup won't solve the problem of continuous hassle.

By the time you buy new drivers and alter the wiring to suit.... Only for the lights themselves to start dropping like flys at some point, it will surely be cost effective to replace with something else?

If you do want to go the driver route a good brand is meanwell. Youll need to calc your requirements from details you have on the lights, bearing in mind maximum runs etc from the drivers.

By the time you buy new drivers and alter the wiring to suit.... Only for the lights themselves to start dropping like flys at some point, it will surely be cost effective to replace with something else?

If you do want to go the driver route a good brand is meanwell. Youll need to calc your requirements from details you have on the lights, bearing in mind maximum runs etc from the drivers.
Yeah I’ve been on the website and i get lost halfway through trying to work it all out

I don't think you will save yourself any money or hassle, by doing what you are proposing.

Matching drivers to LED lamps is not such an easy process from what I've read. As said you would also need to consider the spec of the cabling from the central driver to each lamp, and the inrush current with a central driver. Even manufacturers get things wrong. If you are adamant in doing this, I would recommend speaking to a UK led driver manufacturer/supplier.

As the others have said, take a hit and slowly replace each room, with some quality UK sourced down lights, most come with an extended warranty.

Reply to LED Downlight Driver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net