Discuss led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The cable is best resting against a surface that it can transfer any heat to such as plasterboard or air itself so as long as it’s not wrapped up in itchy poo (insulation). As you’ve now gone ahead with it anyway do the best you can a post a picture, appreciated always.
It paints a thousand words wouldn’t you know!

personally I would not use flex for fixed wiring, it's my choice not to, some will say it's OK to use flex, I guess I was brought up to do the job properly, by that I mean clipping the cable to the rafters, using twin and earth (in this case) cable, more importantly NOT cutting the cpc out.
I am going to get it checked over just to be sure by an electrician once done but I’m pretty good at a lot of things including electrics so I’d rather have them checked over then have to pay out for an electrician to come and do all the work and wiring up etc and charge me ten times what the lights cost me lol
What price safety, cash rules OK

This sounds like a lash up and a half. Correct cable should be used (Twin and Earth), the cpc should not be cut out, and cable should be clipped to joists, not just hidden in or under the insulation.

It’s all there @123, we can’t stop people doing these jobs, we probably would have done them ourselves before we were who we were but as he started yesterday and was after hints then what can we do. We offer advice which has already improved his install - granted it won’t be as good as ours but then we’re experienced. More tea?
Don't clip the earth out of the way. Leave it intact through to the last light for when you do your EFLI test. Make sure to clip the cable neatly throughout. Ensure you meet manufacturers recommendations regards thermal insulation. Don't forget your IR test just to be on the safe side. Be sure to meet building regs regards fireproofing, sound etc. Jobs a goodun.

for what current the cable will be taking, i don't think insi=ulation is a problem. but you do need to leave a hole around each fitting, about 6" diameter.

What do Lap (=crap) say about insulation above their lights in the installation instructions? It looks like you will be using GU10s? Those fittings look like the old original JCC fittings bought out of the lock up and re-badged. They do not appear to have an intumescent seal on them which regarding fireproofing is not compliant, unless I am just not seeing the seal as it is transparent. It's your house but really, be careful regards the fire proof aspect. I agree with @Pete999, 1.5 T&E clipped (as also @123 has said) The heat generated by these fittings is quite high and insulation will exacerbate the problem. Before commissioning the circuit you need to test it to ensure it complies with BS7671 to prove it is safe to "switch on" or as most DIY do, the big bang theory. Putting flexy into the terminals in those lights is not as easy as it may seem. T&E will offer a more definite clean termination, whereas you may tend to get "spiders legs" of strands sticking out if you are not experienced especially as it is crouching in a loft with insulation and dark surroundings.

It’s all there @123, we can’t stop people doing these jobs, we probably would have done them ourselves before we were who we were but as he started yesterday and was after hints then what can we do. We offer advice which has already improved his install - granted it won’t be as good as ours but then we’re experienced. More tea?
So if he's cut the earth out or used bellwire, it's ok cause he's already started. It's a lash up and a mess, best advice is to start again and do it right, or get someone in to do it right for you.

The earth has been reconnected all the way to the last light and then pulled back a little and wrapped with insulation tape

I clearly don’t see how it is ‘ a mess’ just because I’m doing it myself I’m using the correct cable all the lights are linked correctly the insulation’s been moved at least 8 inch all the way around each light and every connection is neat and clamped into each box on the light itself yes the cables currently lay under the insulation but there’s that much insulation in the loft you can’t see a single joist and would require all the insulation from above the room to be completely taken out to be able to secure the cable in place all the way along to the next light

You’re going to have to get to the party on time and read all of the posts. Being too over opinionated doesn’t look good on your CV
So if he's cut the earth out or used bellwire, it's ok cause he's already started. It's a lash up and a mess, best advice is to start again and do it right, or get someone in to do it right for you.

You’re going to have to get to the party on time and read all of the posts. Being too over opinionated doesn’t look good on your CV
I can't support someone doing something that they are out of their depth on as the OP has shown. Telling them it is ok to use flex and tuck it under the installation neatly is not an acceptable installation method and if if anyone working for me did that I'd let them go.

It's all ok tough as he has wrapped the cpc in a bit of insulation tape. Great job, not.

Reply to led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net