Discuss led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I can't support someone doing something that they are out of their depth on as the OP has shown. Telling them it is ok to use flex and tuck it under the installation neatly is not an acceptable installation method and if if anyone working for me did that I'd let them go.

It's all ok tough as he has wrapped the cpc in a bit of insulation tape. Great job, not.
Whilst I do not condone leaving the cpc without a suitable means of termination or DIY installers how is a bit of insulation going to affect a 1.5 cable with a few downlights connected to it.

Maybe I’d do a better job of it if people were abit more helpful on here but majority just seems to be looking for a fault in anything and everything possible. advise me the best way and safest way to go about it or stay or out of it I thought this was supposed to be a discussion forum were people chat and help one another out but there’s very few people like that on here and everyone just wants to start an argument or debate but thanks to the ones who have been helpful I appreciate it thanks

Now now no need for that. Nearly all threads on here lead to debate with many different opinions.

If you really are getting a qualified spark to check over it and test after complete ensure:

A there is no blue/brown conductor visible outside of the lights connector boxes.
B that you have crimped bootlace ferrules on each stripped end where it is terminated. This is required when using flexes in fixed wiring.
C you have observed manufacturers instructions regarding distance from joists, insulation covering etc etc.

If yes to all 3 you should be okay and safe...

led downlighting wiring help DFA8B2F1-090C-4528-B2CA-7714C81F0CEC - EletriciansForums.net led downlighting wiring help 863378ED-C6C7-4A8A-90C7-6F7C4152326C - EletriciansForums.net Well so far so good all wired up and working fine and looking pretty good not bad for a first timer. I haven’t used the bootlace Ferrells but if this is essential then I don’t mind fitting them they’re all pretty easily accessible and come down fine :)

Few too many - I’d take 3 out and fill the holes!
Well done and thanks for the photos. You are officially the wild card!

Maybe I’d do a better job of it if people were abit more helpful on here but majority just seems to be looking for a fault in anything and everything possible. advise me the best way and safest way to go about it or stay or out of it I thought this was supposed to be a discussion forum were people chat and help one another out but there’s very few people like that on here and everyone just wants to start an argument or debate but thanks to the ones who have been helpful I appreciate it thanks

1. The clues in the name 'Electricians Forum' not 'forum where people can pick our brains for free to bodge a job'.

2. If you'd spent years training and getting qualified to become an electrician, had to buy £1,000's of tools and test equipment which you have to pay to have calibrated each year, pay £100's each year to be registered in a scheme and the associated loss of a day's pay once a year at assessment time, £100's on wiring regulation books, guidance notes and top up C&G courses whenever the regs change; then you'd be a bit down on amateurs who come on here fishing for advice on how to do our job rather than employ one of us.

"Any idiot can get a circuit to work, it takes knowledge and skill to get it to work safely"

...and as for taped up earth wires, it's just not 'Best Practise'

.... definitely does not look like a domestic location.

That’s a bedroom, there is the end of a bed. There’s a tv on the wall and a UPVC window. In the other shot shows something on top of a wardrobe.
Mods - close the thread - everyone is beginning to get ‘previous’.

Yes it’s a bedroom 15 ft long and 10 wide i could of probs got away with 6 but preffered the 8 ideally they’ll be changed and put on a Dimmer at some point

Probably a compliment that people think it looks commercial.
Dimmer switches are generally deeper so may not go in your switch backbox, in which case there exists, a single gang 10mm plastic standoff plate that can be used for the dimmer switch to sit on if that is the case. Not as pretty as flush but means you won’t have to change the back box.
You can mess with the (K) colour of the LED lamps as well 2700K warm white 3000K whiter white. Looks like you may have 4000K so if you find it doesn’t suit you it can be changed. Just don’t get 6000K - no one likes that.

Cool thanks for that yeah the back plate isnt very deep at all compared to the rest around the house so will probably have to get the stand-off plate I’ve currently got 3000k bulbs in at the moment but yeah will play around with the colour temp before I purchase dimmable bulbs

Ahh, how do I ask this gently? What is the finish applied to the plasterboard ceiling, I can't quite make it out ?

Reply to led downlighting wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock