Discuss LED driver problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zone77

-
Reaction score
help needed please!

i have installed a 12v constant voltage, 16W LED driver with 3x 5w LED mr16 lamps but they keep going on-off! the driver does seem warm as if overloading. what am i doing wrong??

inrush current may be too high for the driver. try one around 30 or 40 watts.

Almost certainly overloading.

Power supplies and drivers are often rated by their consumption rather than their output capabilities. Also there's often derating figures supplied with them. I'd be looking at a driver at least 25% larger than the load it's supplying and if it's a cheap Chinese version you can make that figure nearer 50%.

Almost certainly overloading.

Power supplies and drivers are often rated by their consumption rather than their output capabilities. Also there's often derating figures supplied with them. I'd be looking at a driver at least 25% larger than the load it's supplying and if it's a cheap Chinese version you can make that figure nearer 50%.

thanks for the help and info. the driver is Halolite from screwfix. lamps are LAP also screwfix!

You might what to have a look at 'constant current v constant voltage'. The problem with buying lamps & drivers separately, as opposed a set made up by a manufacturer.

Are the mr16 the lap LAP 12v Led marked "direct replacement" If so I have had trouble with these they work ok on the old transformers perfect. So suspect they have some sort of regulating circuit built in for the ac from the trannies which uses up some power.
I returned these to screwfix.
lamp type I returned http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-mr...d=462033#product_additional_details_container

Reply to LED driver problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net