Discuss LED drivers (DALI) regulary fail in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Emile

-
Reaction score
In a new building about 400 TCI LED drivers of type 122692 were installed. This concerns DALI drivers.
The vast majority of these drivers are in a dimmable setup (DALI).
The problem now is that drivers regularly fail. In itself not the end of the world, but there is the programming costs every time.
In the building there are other LED lamps, the drivers of those lamps are not going defect. For the rest there are no problems with other devices in the building.
TCI is of the opinion that the defects are due to overvoltage.
I think this explanation is actually insufficient, because if there is overvoltage in the building, other devices should also go defect.

Does anyone have ideas?

love his paintings, but would not trust him with electrical equipment.seeing his experiment with starfish dimming, doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

175_dali04.jpg

First off did you get certification from the various manufacturers as to the compatability of the components of the system. Who designed and installed the system? IF...overvoltage is the problem, which I doubt you should get a monitor (power quality analyser) to check any anomalies in the supply to present as evidence this is not the case. You say you have four hundred control gears? The inrush current must be immense. Are you talking about a particular section of the building where it is all failing or generally around the building? In any event it may be that components in the control gear are poor quality. There are a few methods of dimming in led control systems has all this been considered?

As per previous comments. What is the voltage? Has it been tested? If above 247v or lots of high fluctuations that could be reason for drivers failing. Suggest add SPD and if funds will allow put lighting on UPS without batteries to clean supply. But before doing anything check to see how dirty the supply is with an analyser as that will give you confidence as what to do next.

Easiest is to try a small number of say Tridonic drivers. If you start chasing the supply voltage you could be there a long time .
I have had a good 50% of failed Osram drivers, also i have had drivers that "shutdown" they looked faulty but simply needed a 30 minute power off cycle, bizarre, this was caused by brown outs. I had to advised the client to switch off lights for 30 minutes. These TCI drivers look to have very similar protection circuitry which i believe is microprocessor controlled, the ones i had were sensitive to undervoltage , it caused them to get confused.

https://win.tcisaronno.com/downloads/?IDnode=1168&field=docs

The TCI LED drivers of type 122692 has a rated output for an ambient temperature ta from -25 to 45 C and case temperature of tc of 75C. They also have integral thermal protection to automatically shut down before damage from overheating. Are they located somewhere without sufficient ventilation? Perhaps buy a few max/min thermometers and attach some to the drivers and hang a few others up to measure the surrounding air temperature.

Large Digital Max Min Thermometer - White 12/426/3 | Brannan - https://www.brannan.co.uk/large-digital-max-min-thermometer-white

Reply to LED drivers (DALI) regulary fail in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net