Discuss LED fluorescent replacement tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

UNG

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have a customer who is trying to reduce his electricity bills at his shop, lighting is the biggest load with multi tube fluorescent fittings in the main shop area

I have been looking at the possibility of replacing the fluorescent tubes with LED tube replacements but have some doubts not least having found this ESC report which obviously highlights some safety implications having modified the fitting to accept them and also the quality, cost and longevity as to whether the long term savings will be made

Has anybody used or got any experience of these LED tubes and did you achieve the expected results and were there any problems or issues with them, been talking to a wholesaler who is very enthusiastic about them and tells me he is doing good business with them with no failures but not sure whether this is just sales spiel

You can get direct replacements for T8 fittings 4-6ft I know that. Wouldn't ask your wholesaler though, asked mine about them and he quoted £40 a tube for ones which put out less light than some £14 a tube ones I found online better off sourcing them yourself in my experience but everywheres different I suppose. But to be honest it's just an emerging technology at the minute, I wouldn't say it's worth getting them right now you may as well get T5s to replace. Simply because the light is no where near as good so you might get a lot less light depending on how many fittings are already there, replacement LEDs might not provide adequate light

I've concluded after my asking and searchingto just order 1 or 2 and try them. And read specs what you buying as they do vary

Reply to LED fluorescent replacement tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net