Discuss Led gu10 bulbs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hduz5

Hi guys,

Anybody used a 7 watt led bulb? Any comments on the light quality? I've tried a 6 watt Aurora bulb which was sold to me as a 50 watt equivalent. It isn't awful, but it is definitely not equivalent to 50 watts. Also, if anyone is involved in r+d
on led bulbs are you expecting to see brighter bulbs on the market in the next year?

Cheers

You need to go on lumen output not power. Have used high lumen 4 watt lamps and customer has been impressed.

LED is never going to be exactly the same as halogen 100%

I swapped 4 x 50W GU10's in my own hall a couple of days ago for 4 x 8W Halers LED and the difference between the two isn't really worth the typing time! Except that my hall lighting now only costs me 32W/hr rather than 200W/hr.

You need to go on lumen output not power. Have used high lumen 4 watt lamps and customer has been impressed.

LED is never going to be exactly the same as halogen 100%

Just had a play with my light meter and this is what I found:

measured at about 0.75m directly below lamp with ambient light levels around 34 Lx
1W equivelant LED cool white = 151 Lx
5W equivalent LED warm white = 506 Lx
50W halogen lamp standard = 1229 Lx

i installed 7w jcc led fittings in hotel last week and they were given great light.. but were around 40 a fitting and the terminations in the back were a beep!!!!

I am probably the biggest LED geek on the forum, probably not definitely.

They are right above, lumens is what you want. using the lumen output and reflector angle you can calculate lux.

Currently the best led modules out there run about 60l/m, they are made by cree.

no-one is even touching cree on efficacy.

However Cree have been making high power LEDs for years with efficiencies over 140l/w.

The fact the modules are so crap puzzles me.

All I can assume is that the LEDs have lots of rejects, and the rejects are being put in these modules.

My worklight is a headtorch, it puts out over 4000lm.

The technology is here, and has been for years, when it hits the market is beyond me.

Currently LEDs are using saphire dies, which are pricey. They are looking to move to silicon which will massively drop manufacturing costs. This might make a big effect.

So for your clients, just wait and see. For personal use, go get some real LEDs from cutter electronics and wire them up yourself.

One extra thing, unless it is from a reputable source (Cree, Seoul, Lumiled, Osram) do not trust the l/w. My 700lm unbranded module is owned by my 30lm cree one.

Look into ones that use the SMD 5050 chips, great output from them at a low wattage.
Nice spread of light off them as well unlike the high powered LED stuff which can be very direct.

smd gu10.jpg

I am using the above LED lamp, the light output is really good, so much so I have also installed them at home, however, they just look pants when off!

I also love the JCC LED firerated fittings, having fitted many of these I actually like the push fit terminations, I am paying £32.50 plus VAT each for these and £10.50 plus VAT each for the lamp, what are you paying? (I am buying quite a lot so would be good to get a better deal)

Last edited:
The above JCC led7 down lights are very good, we have fitted loads of them and the customers are all over the moon with them (and there electric savings) the push terminals are ok it's just the cable grip (silly) thing is not wide enough. + the 10year guarantee is the main selling point. Theres currently only two LED lights I would recommend at the mo and that's the JCC downlight 7 and the megaman 8w lamp (but you need icage downlight). The other good point about the JCC fitting is it complies with all your building regs.

I am using the above LED lamp, the light output is really good, so much so I have also installed them at home, however, they just look pants when off!

I also love the JCC LED firerated fittings, having fitted many of these I actually like the push fit terminations, I am paying £32.50 plus VAT each for these and £10.50 plus VAT each for the lamp, what are you paying? (I am buying quite a lot so would be good to get a better deal)
£8+VAT (CEF)
Likes of Ledhut give 2 year guarantee and price starts from 8.95 all in.

i thought they were pretty bright when asking cef guy to test for me.. i havw a house comming up soon where they going to have nearly 60 downlights in.. plus a few hanging on on flex where the ceiling is going to be lifted right up... i was thinking these smds as i know they wont go for the jcc jobbies.. if all else fails it wil be 50w gu10.
The ones I use are 21 SMD, but the chip is the 5050 not the older 3258 stuff

Reply to Led gu10 bulbs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net