Discuss led lighting interferance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rossi46

Hi All
Has any one else had this issue, ive recently replaced some 12V down lights for LED lamps and supplier confirmed the existing transformers were ok, anyway since fitting if they turn the lights on the radios will go off any were in the house and it does not matter what station they listen too.
im waiting on the manufacturers comments but wondered if any one else has had this.

Is there a dimmer in this equation as well or is the lighting circuit un-dimmed.

It's probably just radio frequency interference generated by the electronics in the led lamps but there's a chance it's a compatibility issue between the lamps and the transformers especially if the transformers are electronic.

I would try a few tests to establish what the problem is. Firstly disconnect/bypass the dimmer if there is one. If the RFI continues remove all the lamps except one and set up a radio close by. On the remaining lamp try replacing the transformer with an inductive one (wire-wound transformer) and see if it's still a problem. If it is then it's pretty certain it's a problem with the new LED lamps. If the RFI disappears then it's probably a compatibility issue with the transformers.

I've heard of radio's picking up interference from LED's and their drivers but I don't know why.

Does anyone know?

thanks for info, no dimmer so eliminated that one, if i dont get a sensible answer from the manufactuers then i play with transformers.

Well if there's no dimmer that makes doing the sherlock holmes thing a lot easier. I would guess the RFI would be generated by the switch mode drivers that are built into the lamps although I've no idea on a component level what would be the cause..

Reply to led lighting interferance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock