Discuss Led lighting residual current in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gloy

-
Reaction score
File location wiring diagram - https://form.jotform.com/80623317513955
six external led lights , with a switch between lights 2-6 for additional control, all materials proper for job, lights run from garage fusebox via MCB, fed from main house fusebox with MCB & RCD protection. cable run rst 20mts of 1mm T&E through sealed conduit. Residual current to lcd lamps 3-6 but not 1-2 . a more comprehansive descripion is included with my wireing diagram found at the above link. the reason for link is the system would not allow me to up load a file. but will attempt a 2nd time to upload.

outside lights wireing.jpg

The question is on the diagram... you'll have to enlarge it.
@gloy Your post is confusing could you post your query as an edit or below so members can respond.

File location wiring diagram - https://form.jotform.com/80623317513955
six external led lights , with a switch between lights 2-6 for additional control, all materials proper for job, lights run from garage fusebox via MCB, fed from main house fusebox with MCB & RCD protection. cable run rst 20mts of 1mm T&E through sealed conduit. Residual current to lcd lamps 3-6 but not 1-2 . a more comprehansive descripion is included with my wireing diagram found at the above link. the reason for link is the system would not allow me to up load a file. but will attempt a 2nd time to upload.

View attachment 41147
And what do you mean by "residual current"? how are you terminating the "Sealed conduit" into the Consumers unit?

There you go OP:

upload_2018-3-4_13-34-50.png

Ok I have para phrased my question as I typed out a detailed question only for it to get lost on posting. there is detail on my diagram and I have checked and it is easily readable , may be use my link it may display larger on your machine, ctrl & + keyboard keys will enlarge. as for how it is terminated in the com unit, do you mead conduit or cable , should you mean conduit , the conduit terminates as it enters a room before going through ceiling voids to the garage fuse box , cable is terminated +v onto live rail, neutral to netural bar, ground to ground bar, on the correct RCD side, the cable is terminated at the other end of the circuit via a connection block supplied with the decrative light live into lamp neutral into lamp, and is sealed and high out of the way so no water could make a circuit. The cables are also new. I cant see where the volts are comeing from.

Ok I have para phrased my question as I typed out a detailed question only for it to get lost on posting. there is detail on my diagram and I have checked and it is easily readable , may be use my link it may display larger on your machine, ctrl & + keyboard keys will enlarge. as for how it is terminated in the com unit, do you mead conduit or cable , should you mean conduit , the conduit terminates as it enters a room before going through ceiling voids to the garage fuse box , cable is terminated +v onto live rail, neutral to netural bar, ground to ground bar, on the correct RCD side, the cable is terminated at the other end of the circuit via a connection block supplied with the decrative light live into lamp neutral into lamp, and is sealed and high out of the way so no water could make a circuit. The cables are also new. I cant see where the volts are comeing from.
So thatswhy you are using TandE and not singles?

And the question is?
I appreciate you are not a mind reader , but you must agree that typing out a detailed question and submitting for it to go nowhere is downer I typed a second abriveated version including my question on the diagram expecting this to be rejected as well but it was accepted hence it may seem vauge sorry

I appreciate you are not a mind reader , but you must agree that typing out a detailed question and submitting for it to go nowhere is downer I typed a second abriveated version including my question on the diagram expecting this to be rejected as well but it was accepted hence it may seem vauge sorry

And the question is?

It sounds as if you are measuring induced voltage on the LEDs 3-6 and that there may be a fault on those LEDs.
The ratings of the relevant MCBs would be useful to know and the power of the LED lights.
Leaving things for a while and then finding they work is often a situation where water ingress has had time to clear somewhat.
However it is also possible that the LEDs inrush current exceeds the MCB rating.
Operating switch two when switch one is open really should not cause any problems unless there is a wiring error.
It is not clear how the cables are run so that the neutral and earth are joined in mid run.

Oh yes digital multimeter (fluke) difficult to get volt readings as it trips . using peak voltage capture and making it trip I got 115 volts but not so sure if this reading should be trusted. I dont know it this helps. my thinking on this is by operating my 2nd switch (control lights 3-6 in diagram) there can be no volts unless the switch is leaking (which I dont beleive it is) this would have the same effect as disconecting the hot wire, so a circuit must be being made using the ground and nutral some how , what I cant make out is the circuit controling lights 1-2 work correctly, meaning lights 1-2 have no current when hot wire circuit is interrupted (switch) so where could the current be comeing from??

Last edited:
Back to basics me thinks .........

basic tests for continuity and insulation resistance etc.

Is this a new circuit from the garage circuit board?

Back to basics me thinks .........

basic tests for continuity and insulation resistance etc.

Is this a new circuit from the garage circuit board?
It is not new circuit from the garage to lights 1-2 its been installed for 4 -5 years with out issue, however the circuit was extended last year with switch 2 and lights 3-6. and have been working faultlessly having left it a couple of days controling it from a MCB and leaving the 2nd switch alone once working , it seems to screw up when the switch is used, as it was yesterday forgetting the issue it would cause.

Water ingress in this bad weather? Have you checked all the joints and enclosures? Time for 500v up ‘em to dry it out, sorry I meant test and fault find!

It sounds like the polarity is reversed at the DB, so that the LEDs are glowing via a live supply through the unswitched conductor and leakage / capacitance to earth. And/ or you have rampant leakage or faults. No further diagnosis is possible without test results and confirmation of the polarity.

Reply to Led lighting residual current in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net