Discuss LED lighting, the way forward? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

I was wondering on the views you have on lighting and the future. Do you think LED lighting is the way forward and other types of lighting will eventually become a thing of the past?

I think LED lighting will become more and more usable in the home for sure, but other types of lighting will still be required for many years to come IMO. LED lighting will take off in a big way when the price drops, still expensive IMO, a decent lamp is still a fiver.

I don't think led will be replacing metal halide anytime soon! The light output isn't enough, unless someone knows of a viable replacement? Its the weapon of choice though for really cool lighting designs, i'm in the middle of wiring my mates kitchen and its the first job i've used rgb colour changing led strip on, it looks amazing!

I was looking at the rgb led strip. I was going to get some for my brother. Where did you get it monkeyelectric? Does it automatically change colour or did you get a remote?

I installed a 40W led panel today as a demonstration for a customer, he wasn't over enthusiastic about it and to be honest neither was I. He currently has 4x14W t5 grid fittings.

I was looking at the rgb led strip. I was going to get some for my brother. Where did you get it monkeyelectric? Does it automatically change colour or did you get a remote?

I installed a 40W led panel today as a demonstration for a customer, he wasn't over enthusiastic about it and to be honest neither was I. He currently has 4x14W t5 grid fittings.
Its from led hut and i got the touch senstive rgb controller to go with it, you can have loads of variations of solid colours, dim up and down, colour changing programs, i want it in my kitchen now!

They have replaced all our street lights in our area with Led Ones there are now less lamp post and it just as bright I Guess it will save money long term but I don't know how much they cost. Every time I try and sell a customer LED lights they always go for the cheaper fluorescents the general comment is that the outlay for the LED lamps are to much.

I will have to get them monkeyelectric. They seem funky! Lol.

Flanders that's generally what I hear. T5 fittings aren't as expensive as LED's.

I will have to get them monkeyelectric. They seem funky! Lol.

Flanders that's generally what I hear. T5 fittings aren't as expensive as LED's.

Also if we sell them LED lights we don't get to go out every 3 months and charge them £££££££ for replacing the lamps :)

LED all the way for me. As long as you buy decent make bulbs (ie. not ebay cheapies!). My bathroom was 4 x 35W halogen. Replaced with 4=7W GE LED bulbs. Can't tell the difference light wise (warm white) and 28 watts instead of 140 watts. And not a fire hazard now either! Prices will start dropping big time soon I reckon as more people buy them and more and more places stock them. Daz

We are looking at changing all our warehouse lighting for LED at the moment (400W MH).
Its a viable option with a pay back period of 1.5 years.

I think its a no brainer when you have large quantities of high wattage fittings, Not really worth it for low wattage stuff though.

LED lighting, the way forward? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Do love the strip lighting i did in my kitchen. Not having much luck flogging it to customers though!

A lot of Lighthouses are now converting to LED's. Where we once had a metal halide 1000W lamp giving a range of 22+miles, we now have a range of 19+miles with a single LED. and at a fraction of the running costs.

I have a lumilife 4.5W wide beam cool white GU10 in the backbedroom, its brighter than a 50W halogen by at least 1.5 times....something like 360lumens rating, though seems more...

Need to find out if they are compatible with the lightwave rf stuff...bought a lightwave switch for a customer...had to split the packaging to get it open to check it over and check backbox depth (definite need for 35mm....), day before fitting...get a text from the customer...sorry boiler has just failed and a major flood in several bedrooms, need to postpone the dining room revamp
So since i can't return it...going to give the lightwave stuff a try in the bedroom or the living room....

Was having a chat to a lighting company rep last week, and he confirmed that CFL lamps are more expensive to produce than many LED lamps. The manufactures are caning the low running cost for all it's worth and clawing back R & D costs over the short term...

LED lighting, the way forward? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

There you go a bit more human friendly.
I changed 7 gu10s in my flat and have saved £20 over a half year period compared to last year.
So as long as the out lay price comes down your onto a winner. Unless you need super expensive dimmers that is!

Reply to LED lighting, the way forward? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock