Discuss LED Panels in a barn... yay or nay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been asked to do some work in a block of 8 stables. Owner has provided the materials for what he wants installed - led panels and twin and earth cable.

I've suggested that twin and earth isn't the greatest cable type for the application, but I'm unaware of whether there is any reason led panels shouldn't be used?

Going to take a look in the BBB today but thought I'd get double the advice by getting your input as well.

Haven't done any work in agricultural premises so any advice is on anything would should be known is appreciated.

Also it might be a daft question in hindsight but do the livestock regs apply for stables?

Thanks in advance.

galv.conduit is your solution. and at what height are the lights going to be. anything under 15ft. is liable to be trashed by nags.

I’ve got the same type of job in stables.
I’ve gone for IP rated LED battens, pvc conduit with singles and IP rated accessories. Helped by a local wholesalers for quantities and pricing.

Where you have livestock or horses for that matter, you’ll have vermin. T&E will get chewed.
There will be water, and dust and dry hay.... so you don’t want anything that can heat up much.

I was also told by someone on here that horses are susceptible to electric shocks even more than humans, so RCD protect everything!

I think I would check with the manufacturer as to their suitability for such an environment. I imagine condensation could be a problem for one thing. I would lean more toward @littlespark his idea of IP rated for a start. I also have lurking in my mind a slight question regards the suitability of LED around animals and might delve into that personally before committing to the installation. T&E would not be an acceptable method in this case. Klix, singles and round conduit ideally galv as @telectrix has opined, but I could settle for white plastic.

Not that I know anything about horses..... as said by a few already but just to add my agreement with them. Not Twin & Earth PVC as rats etc. will chew it. Vapour rated fittings are a must also due to stables being open to the elements and also to fumes from urine. It's a very dusty environment with hay and bedding particles floating around. Keep everything above the eaves and imagine a rather large child being able to reach and chew everything in reach. Even the switches need to be away from the stables as horses are tied up usually outside against the walls of the stables. As for the LED fittings it depends what IP rating they are so a bit more info is required. @snowhead ours don't have metal plates nailed to their feet ;)

Its all to do with the earth potential rise. When you have a fault current the point at which the fault current flow to ground is at higher potential than the surrounding ground. Further apart you legs are the greater the potential.

Absolute gold....

....and yes,our equine slaves,are very susceptible to being used as a resistor.....30mA will not save them :eek:

Off the top of my head I think accessories in agricultural premises should be minimum IP44. Had a long day and can't be bothered to move from the couch to verify that so I'm happy to be corrected!

Reply to LED Panels in a barn... yay or nay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net