Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. driverman

driverman DIY

Hi, more advice required, about LED lighting. I'm so well out of date with these things. An Ashley/Rock HAL 96T batten holder was all that was needed in my time!
    If you were posh, a fluorescent strip light!.
    I intend to install LED lighting above the worktops. I looked at a video clip yesterday illustrating LED strip lights on a tape which is wafer thin. How do you typically wire them? Where would the transformer/ driver go?. At this point in time, I've wired a 1.0mm T+E cable from a spur point in readiness. I want to wire it neatly, nothing on show etc. Thanks once again,

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Avoid the self adhesive ones ................ is my advice.

Transformers above cupboards .........

• Like Like x 1
  3. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    If the wall units have a pelmet along the bottom edge, any junction boxes and drivers can hide behind that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverman

driverman DIY

Thanks for that.. Have you had bad experience with them?

5. Murdoch

I won't fit them...... most kitchens after a while are dirty, greasy environments ..... something screwed to the cupboard is far better IMHO.

Like these:

LED Under Cupboard Fittings - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html

or a cheaper option:

230v 9w LED Linkable Striplight Warm White 3000k - 538mm - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBUCLED9WW.html

The latter don't have transformers to go wrong!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. driverman

driverman DIY

Thanks, no pelmets at all. First idea was for some tubular type LED lighting that I saw in a pub recently. The tubes changed colour also.
    I don't want to see the fittings, just a glow from the lights.

7. Murdoch

Bad idea IMHO...

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverman

driverman DIY

Good point about transformers! In link you supplied, cupboard featured has no pelmet.

9. driverman

driverman DIY

Thanks for replies guys. Customer decided to go for the LED strip lights as no pelmet. Where can i get blue LED strip lights with all the correct fittings. ie to change strip 90 degrees. If driver sited on top of wall unit, could I use a small stranded flex/bell wire from driver to first strip light?
    Thanks

10. Murdoch

"most" LED driver / light combinations have a maximum cable length on the LV side and best use the OEM's cables ......

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverman

driverman DIY

Thanks Murdoch. No doubt an obvious answer. OEM's cables? What does OEM mean? Not done these before. The distance between driver and first LED lights is depth of wall cupboard. From same driver to second LED lights 6-7 metres. Instructions suggest stranded better than solid cables. I had used 1.mm T+E. I can easily use correct smaller stranded cable.

12. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, ie. the people who make to product.
    7 metres is a long way at such a low voltage, although current draw is pretty low also, so VD may not be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Murdoch

I would be checking what the maufacturers say about maximum length of the cables before its too late!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Therapy? Nah, motorcycles!

I fitted these recently. Cannot remember the make but got them from Denmans. They're only about 5mm thick and perfect for underneath cabinets where there's no pelmet...transformer is on top of the cupboard. I wired them back to the kitchen light switch so control is right next to the door - as you'd expect... ultra thin LED lighting.jpg

Under cab 1.jpg

Undercab 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Murdoch

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Therapy? Nah, motorcycles!

That's the one!

• Like Like x 1