Discuss Led rear lights fail after ignition in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the911

-
Reaction score
Hi,i fitted some after market led rear lights to my 2015 3.2 ford ranger wildtrak auto,they work fine when the ignition is off,but as soon as i start the engine the lights fail after 60 seconds or so,the ebay seller has sold over 100 of these units and can't understand why I'm having issues,do i send them back or is there an easy fix.many thanks.

What are these lights purpose? It sounds like you tapped them into a circuit that is designed to turn off at that time.
You cant send them back as theres nothing actually wrong with the lights, just the method of installation possibly

Thanks for the swift reply,these are actually the tail lights i.e. the brake lights,indicator etc,they have the same jack plug as the original ford lights so plug straight in like for like,every thing works fine until the engine is started.

Does 'after market' mean cheapo china import?

Its a rear light cluster for the vehicle? It should be just connector, cables and lamps. no electronics etc. There is no reason for it not to work.
Do you have a multimeter so you can test the socket of the vehicle when the engine is running and the cluster is unplugged?

Purely cosmetic,these smoked led tail lights are from china,but not exactly cheap,over £300 pounds,they are working but fail when the ignition is turned on.

Put the old ones back in and see if you have an issue if not like Ruston said there could be a Canbus issue and the replacements should cater for this.

Also £300 fecking notes are you fecking mad? Any jobs going?

Many cars controlled by micro computor now days, these micro computors do a check on the vehicle lights by testing for current levels on the line, if you have changed these lights, the micro processor may not know, it see's less current and assumes something is wrong. Like a blown lamp. So I would check with the dealer that these lights are compatible with the vehicle and it's electrical system ?

Hi,these Rangers are legendary for dubious,recalcitrant electrics...

Your new units are confusing the ECU,and will be reading the lack of load,as a fault.
Check if the replacements have resistors paralleled with the lamps,which you could add,but not straight forward...

The ECU needs a letter writing to it,for every change/addition.on these,and i had a fraught episode of multiple visits,to the local dealer,who fitted a towbar and electrics to me pals new Ranger,that they supplied. The electrics never functioned,and they defaulted to colourful stories,which ground to a stuttering halt,when fronted in person...

Upshot,was a mid mounted ECU fault,£400+ which was a warranty cost,they tried massively to evade.

Yes gone are the days of just adding what you like to your electrical system.
Expensive failures are often the result of spurious additions .
You are lucky in that the canbus system is switching that off .
As has been said if the system does not see the correct parameters it will shut that system down to protect the circuit.

Reply to Led rear lights fail after ignition in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net